Boy, I'll tell ya. This table topper is certainly trying my patience. I could not machine quilt it to safe my life. So I decided to go ahead and hand quilt it instead. Which I actually like the look of better, but had I known I would be on this route, I would have started earlier. Especially since I have had to pick out every little machine stitch.
One other thing ... I had intended to put an additional border in this mitten print-but it would be too large. It is called The Twelve Joys of Christmas, by Sheri Berry Designs. Oh gosh is it cute!! Ok, a little side note ... she also has a new line coming out in May (MY BIRTHDAY MONTH! YAY! IT IS GOING ON MY LIST!), it is called
Oh sweet mercy!!! That is the sweetest Christmas fabric I have seen to date! And I love every single piece! Breathe ....
And ... we're back!
Here is a little peek at some of my stitches. I need to really hustle on this one if I want to see it out and about for the season.
I have a question for you.
Do you like a whole bunch of stuff or is less more?
I believe it is and this year, we purchased a much smaller tree (tall and narrow), pre-lit, and there are maybe 20 ornaments on it, not to mention some candy canes and we donated our larger tree to a local thrift store. It is simple, but sweet.
I have one little nativity set out, a Christmas wreath, and mainly decorating with table toppers and candles. Which are few.
The gifts I made, were made with every ounce of love in my heart, and the purchased ones are few, but deliberate.
Looking around my home, it feels cozy and full of love, but not all the clutter.





Less is more but for Christmas I like LOTS! Although I have to say I have stripped it back a bit the last couple of years. I used to go kitchy but this year I am so into the Scandinavian theme and that itself means less. Less colored light bulbs, less singing Santas and reindeers. Less ornaments planned for the tree,because my tree is not up yet. I am campaigning for a fake tree this year. A beautiful tree that can be set up every year instead of one that looses every single twig on it after a week and then has to be dragged to the garbage station. What I waste I feel. Poor tree which has been growing with his friends for years and years to be killed by a saw, looked at and fancied only a week or two and then thrown out on a pile of dirty stuff. Naaah, I wanna go fake and add some pine tree essance around my house instead. Call me crazy. Lovely quilt and gosh you are patinet to take all those machine stitches out. Bless you dear. It is going to be a terrific piece of art. Happy Advent!
ReplyDeleteI sounds like your home is filled with as much love as you have put into your homemade gifts. It sounds perfect. I love the mitten material but I agree it would be too much with your beautiful table topper. I love the hand stitching. Thank you for sharing and have a Safe and Happy Holiday. Hugs
ReplyDeletei love your table topper! the hand-quilting is just perfect.
ReplyDeletei am a more-is-more person when it comes to Christmas! we have no less than 1,000 bulbs on the tree, and the mantle will soon be covered with santas and my nativity.
that mitten print is great, I'm sure you'll find another use for it. Alpine Wonderland is on my wish list - I think maybe I'll dress up my table for the holidays with it :) I would love a skinnier tree - I've gone looking for one (fake) in the past but with no luck. Maybe this year I will find one in the post-Christmas clearence. My Christmas decorations are still in the garage, but hopefully by next weekend they will have made it inside :)
ReplyDeleteIt seems the older I get the less clutter I enjoy. I started my decorating in a small way today, and I am really thinking about how much I want to put out. One thing I know, it won't be as much as I usually do.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on not feeling so cluttered with stuff and overdoing gifts; doing so much that you forget the reason for the season!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through Camp and Cottage Living and I just love it! I'm your newest follower!
~cathy
Trish
ReplyDeleteFrom where I'm sitting your Christmas table topper is looking great! I do agree that the Alpine Wonderland fabric is going to be fabulous. I sure hope it will be available here.
As for decorating this year; I gave away 5 boxes of Christmas stuff and still have two, which I think is too much. So yes, I'm liking less clutter. As for shopping-I've made some gifts and will purchase a few too.
Blessings-Kimberly
I have cut back every year and now only decorate until December 1st after that it all about the season and slowing down. Your topper looks beautiful to me. Patty
ReplyDeleteI always say I'm going to go through all the decorations and get rid of all the old stuff. Hasn't happened yet. But I have been more selective about what I bring down from the attic. I'm with Annette and would like a fake tree this year. I could put it up earlier and leave it up longer without worrying about dry dead branches. I had not seen the Alpine Wonderland fabric. Now I want some.sigh.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all the table topper is just the cutest, love the colors-it's so happy! Secondly, I HAVE TO HAVE the Alpine Wonderland fabric too so you'll have to let me know when it's out and we can stitch together since I never got my act together for the block swap. Thirdly, I do believe less is more. I'm usually the over-the-top kind of Christmas girl (seven trees in various sizes) but I'm longing for peace this year. Bringing out the nativity my mom made years ago and thinking of donating 5 of the 7 trees...I need simple.
ReplyDeleteHello Trish..Your table topper is so pretty...and stitched by hand makes it so special...I love the new Christmas fabric too..some of the prettiest I have seen...
ReplyDeleteI definitely go for the 'less is more' these days and always like to hand make as many of our decoratios as possible...
Hope you have a great week,
Susan x
I love SherryBerry designs. They are always SO cute. And that collection for next year looks wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so with you on he Less is More. I like the tree and some things on the mantle and not much more. We have a few different nativities and pictures of the Savior's birth that I love to have up. But I don't like lots of extra clutter. I do love the lights on the tree and candles burning (I bought a bunch of the 'fake' candles that give the same effect, but I don't worry about the kids lighting something on fire. :) Cozy and festive, but not cluttered. That is what I like best.
I definitely think less is more. I've definitely seen a shift in my focus to handmade over purchased, but I'd say I maintain a healthy balance of the two.
ReplyDeleteYour table topper is looking lovely! The hand-stitching is beautiful so far!
totally beautiful quilt !
ReplyDeleteHi Trish,
ReplyDeleteThis year I have decided to go simple for my Christmas decorations. Other years I try to decorate every single little space and every year it just way too much. I think you're right, less is more. I too try to hand make all our gifts...I think they are more special that way.
Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana
I have been thinning things out this year. I don't want to have to take everything down and then put it all back up after Christmas so I am decorating with less this year. Seems to be the theme.
ReplyDelete