July 28, 2008

evolution of a mirror




Below is a picture of the cast off dresser and mirror set that I purchased a little while back (for $40.00). The mirror was VERY heavy which meant we were really needing to anchor it into a stud. I don't mind putting a few nail holes in my home, but this mirror would require a serious amount of strength. I ended up selling it for $20.00 at a consignment store, then took that cash over to the new thrift store in town, and purchased the above mirror, that I redid. The detail is beautiful and though it is solid, plus beveled, it is only requiring one strong screw, in the stud.


The dresser is still in the priming stage because the weather here is unreliable. Plus it is a VERY heavy piece of furniture. I can't reason carrying it (alone) out doors and hauling it back in doors to dry. My husband (bless his heart) and I have been watching the weather consistently to be ready for a cloudless day so that we can finish this project.

19 comments:

  1. What a stunning transformation! You did a great job on buffing or staining it. I scored a nice frame sans the mirror at a fleamarket looong time ago and I thank you for inspiring me.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the mirror redo. I understand about the weather and trying to paint. I have a stack of things I'd like to get to. Looking forward to seeing your chest redo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the chest re-done. I love the mirror. I got a china hutch last Saturday (that is supposed to be my surprise post that I need help with). I just wanted to paint it black, but now my hubby wants me to strip it, stain it, etc since it's an antique. UGH! That's a lot of work but he doesn't want to take a chance of completely taking all the value away if I paint it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the mirror!!! I wish I had that kind of vision to see treasure among a room full of otherwise-trash. Your blog is delightful...thanks so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just beautiful!! I cant wait to see what else you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL! I love that mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO pretty, you did a great make over. I bet the dresser will be just as great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That mirror looks gorgeous now that you've worked some magic on it.

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tease that mirror is! It's just hanging there calling to you to finish the dresser in the same gorgeous way.
    I hope the weather improves so you can start painting.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the completed set. By the look of the mirror, I'm sure it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job on the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your mirror - you did a very nice job! That chest of drawers has major potential - I look forward to seeing th finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mirror turned out great! Your blog is so cute, especially the header! :) ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Veryyyy cool transformation my dear! cherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mirror looks 100 % better! great job. Can't wait to see what you do to your other piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand.... I too cant carry those big pieces out and have to wait for the hubs.... But mirror is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The mirror is so pretty. I am looking forward to returning and seeing your chest redone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Connie, I'm proud of you, this turned out great. I tried doing this last week and broke the mirror. I was so sad. I still painted the frame and then painted the insert with chalkboard paint and it's now my message board. I love your mirror!
    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I love the details!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You will have a lot of storage in that dresser. Good idea of selling the mirror.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.