December 9, 2012

tutorial for a little Christmas coziness.

Last year I received an adorable 10" stacker of Alpine Wonderland (Riley Blake) and have wrestled ever since, with what to create.  I just love each print and did not want to cut down the larger patterns.  So to add a little Christmas coziness to my home, I came up with this little idea.  It is super easy!  Barely took anytime at all!
There are 21 10" squares in a Riley Blake stacker, so I choose 13 for the center and 6 for the corner.  Each of the center squares were trimmed to 9.5" and the 6 corner squares cut in half.  
Here is my layout.  Starting at the top, I began sewing my blocks together into rows.  (a little hint here : hold off on the corner triangles until the end - trust me)
When sewing the blocks into rows, I press seams first and iron the rows in opposite directions, 
 making sure to lock my  seams as I go. 
 (pinning mine helps a lot)
When attaching the corner triangles I center them above the square before sewing.  There will be extra fabric from the corner triangles that will need squaring up.
 Ta-daa!
A 39" x 39" Christmas table topper.
Here is what it looked like after Kathy worked her quilting magic!  I just love the swirls she gave my little topper. 
They remind me of snow flurries and with our temps in the 70's down here ... those swirls give me hope that we will eventually have a winter.  ha ha ha
 Thank you so much Kathy!  
I love your sweet quilting touches.
You can find Alpine Wonderland  here, and here.

18 comments:

  1. "Swirls" has become my fave 'go-to' quilt pattern of late and, you are so right, it does replicate the swirling snow feel. Great idea and lovely topper!!! Well done....hugs,Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable! And I love the quilted swirls. It is very warm here too but a cold front is moving in. So we'll go from the 70's to freezing in about half a day! :) Time to water each plant in the garden well to keep their roots from freezing. Have a great Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's darling! Wouldn't it be fun bigger for everyone to snuggle under? Will have to look for that fabric. Thanks ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely and absolutely adorable! And I love your little apple pincushion too,
    hope you're having a happy Sunday
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and you are right the swirls are perfect. We are experiencing a lot of snow right now and it fit in with my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable fabric and I love the swirly quilting! I neveer seem to think of seasonal projects until I want them, and then it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty Trish!! Love the prints! Have a lovely week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice! What great prints and what a good idea for using them up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a gorgeous table topper, the fabric prints are adorable.
    The swirls look amazing, such a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute table topper, love the quilting, those swirls are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect..I need to try my hand at a bigger project like this...smiles..Renee

    ReplyDelete
  12. I follow several blogs on Google Reader and the photos show up but to see your photos I have to actually visit your blog. Have I done something wrong in my settings?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Real sweet...BUT, I was going to be really jealous if you had done that quilting free motion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice tutorial - thank you! And thanks, again, for giving credit to the quilter - me! It looks so very sweet with that red binding! love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.