October 13, 2012

simple life saturday. week two.

repurpose 
\rē-ˈpər-pəs\
: to give a new purpose or use to
I smile every time I look at our fall wreath that hangs in the kitchen.  You see, there is a story that goes with it.
A couple of years ago, I was wanting to create a fall wreath and was limited to what was in the house.  Not to mention, I didn't want to spend any money, so I began digging around.
I remembered a special sweater (that I wore the life out of) in my closet.  The neckline was a turtleneck.  Perfect for the base to a burlap rosette.  All I needed to do was cut the neck off, hand stitch a running seam around the center, after folding in half, cinch it, and knot.  
A little hot glue and the center was done.   
The center would have obviously been lonely by itself, so I dug through a hand me down bag of clothes my son received from a family member.  Low and behold, I found an old wool sock that was missing it's pair!  Bingo!  I cut it into several parts, and applied the same technique as I had with the larger.  Followed up by a couple of yo-yo's in different sizes and fabric covered buttons (some of my favorite dark brown vintage fabric and I only had that much left) and a little more hot glue.  Voila!  
A repurposed, 
used what was on hand, 
fall wreath. 

* Not to mention plenty of laughs when our family comes over in the fall and sees their old wool sock decorating my pantry door in the kitchen. *

Do you repurpose things in your life?
What is a favorite of yours?

20 comments:

  1. Very creative !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to repurpose! Hope you are feeling well...it's been so quiet on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love the wreath & the story that goes with it...so much better than buying something ready-made. I do save alot of things that I think someday I can use in some other way...does that count? Lol
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a neat idea. Very festive.

    Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest darn wreath I have seen in a long time!!!! I rerun things all of the time. This year it was taking old Halloween sweaters and making them into pillows, the grands loved then. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cute and very creative! One of my friends made a wreath using old men's shirts. It turned out really nice too.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I repurpose, also, but my success rate may not be on the level of your darling Fall wreath!! Very cute! and love the accompanying stories!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it and the story behind it! So much charm. Wonderful new Saturday series, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea. I'm going to go search for old wool socks now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new series! And what great ideas you used to make this lovely wreath. It's always surprising what you can come up with if you think imaginatively and find ways to use what you have :)
    Happy weekend, Trish.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trish...darling fall wreath!!! So clever.
    Yes...I LOVE to recycle old things to new again.
    My most recent project was an apron from one of Mr. Honeys shirts:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's what I call being resourceful!! You would have made a good pioneer woman. Very cute wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good recycling, creative and pretty!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wreath is just the right colors for Fal!! Reclaimed, recycling and repurposing, I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful and special wreath Trish! Wishing you a lovely rest of the weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your wreath, Trish, and especially the story it holds. :-)
    Hugs
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the wreath - especially the re-purposed socks!!! You're clever! I want to re-purpose my husband's flannel shirts - not gutsy enough yet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! What a great way to make flowers to embellish things with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.