off to a good start.
New Year's Day was a slow and relaxing day. The earlier hours were spent playing a heart thumping game of Monopoly, where I got the pants beat off of me, by my 16 year old son! Seriously, in all the years of playing, I have never lost that bad. He had every single $500.00 bill in his stash of funds and by the end, every property I owned was mortgaged and I still had an IOU out for him. It was a blast!!
After lunch, I had a chance to play with my brand new toy. Some ladies ask for diamonds at Christmas, not me. I ask for practical things ... such as a cordless tree limb trimmer! On 10 acres, you need tools and equipment and I was over the moon when I received my trimmer!! I was able to clean up several ornamental pear trees, plus a couple of meddlesome branches from a favorite oak tree, that have poked just about everyone in the eye at least once. Not any more! Those are now safely nestled in a small burn pile.
Today is the perfect day to get caught up on grading Biology, Geometry, and Grammar. It is cold outside (thank the good Lord), finally, so I may also have a chance to work a little bit more on my sewing room. It is slowly coming along and I can't wait to show you the finish. I have some touch ups to do with paint and a couple of memory boards to finish. Oh ya, and the big project is getting my table and chairs painted. Ok. So don't hold your breath. ha ha ha.

What has been keeping my night stand warm is the classic account of Corrie Ten Boom, in The Hiding Place. This story itself is not new to me, but reading her account is. How something so horrible could have taken place amongst so many to this day still runs a cold chill up my spine. I am to chapter 5, and if you have not read this book, I suggest you do. It is real. It is candid. It is truth. And I never want it to happen again. However, to have the faith and genuine love of the Lord abiding and very obviously tested, brings me to a humble place in prayer. Lord, help me to be closer to You, help me execute Your grace and mercy to others.
So though it is a "sad" story, it is serving as a place of self examination for me. There is no better place to make those adjustments, than at the beginning of the year. Stepping off into a new year, with a humble heart, and confidence in my sweet Lord who promises to complete what He has begun in each of us that are called His!
Happy New Year Trish! I think the tree trimmer is a great idea. I am in love with my cordless leaf blower so I get your excitement. Enjoy your book, and time with your son. I can't wait to see your sewing room. I need ideas since I'm reorganizing mine now too. xx
ReplyDeleteOh we are so similar. I think gardening tools are one of life's best gifts. That and kitchen tools too. I really need to getting trimming around the yard too but have not found much time with the holidays. That is what January is for.
ReplyDeleteI had the opportunity to meet Corrie twice...she truly was an angel. I was very young and did not know that I had met such an incredible person. Since our family is from Holland, we had an instant connection. I was blessed to have been in her presence. XXX
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year, Trish! Sounds like you've got 2012 off to a great start.:) The Hiding Place is such a poignant and beautiful story. I might have to revisit it.
ReplyDelete"The Hiding Place", is one of my all time favorite books! I need to get out my copy and read it again I think it is such a good reminder.
ReplyDeleteOh I am waiting on pins and needles for the sewing room reveal!! So glad Santa was good to you - even if it means a bit of work :)
ReplyDeleteI read 'The Hiding Place' years ago and never forgot it. I love anything she writes. I've enjoyed your blog....
ReplyDeleteYou have brought back a fond memory of the time my family and I went to a local church to hear Corrie speak. Our children were young, but still remember the experience. That must have been about 40 years ago or so. I think a reread of The Hiding Place is a good idea. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year, Trish.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!! I love Monopoly. We need to start our kids playing that. Also, I've always wanted to read "The Hiding Place" - thanks so much for the reminder and the motivation.
ReplyDeleteSending hugs!
Hello Trish, I am a new Follower to your lovely blog. I laughed out loud when I read your post about Monopoly. Your blog is very nice. Kind regards, Ann ~ Australia.
ReplyDeleteLoved your post today, Trish! I used to love playing Monopoly! I haven't read that book but will put it on my wishlist. Have a happy Friday!
ReplyDeleteHelen x
What a fun way to spend quality time with your 16 year old son.
ReplyDeleteOh I love this book, The Hiding Place. I read it as a teen (That was a long time ago!! LOL!!) it made a huge impact on me. I'm rereading it again with my husband.Only at chapter 1. Won't he be surprised to find out what this book is all about!
ReplyDelete