June 12, 2016

red white and blue rail fence quilt tutorial.

The rail fence quilt block is one of my favorite and has been around 
for many years.  At different widths and lengths, and color 
combinations, you can really have fun with this block.  
Especially when using lots of scraps from your stash, which is exactly what I did.  I pulled only reds and blues this time around.

for a 60" x 84" quilt you'll need : 

87 - 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" blue strips
88 - 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" red strips
4 yards fabric for backing
1/2 yard fabric for binding 

you will be making two 10 1/2" blocks
a mainly red block and a mainly blue block
 for the red block layout strips as follows
red, blue, red, blue, red
with right sides together sew strips, press seams open
make 18 
  for the blue block layout strips as follows
blue, red, blue, red, blue
with right sides together, sew strips
press seams open
make 17   
you will have a total of 35 blocks
 (chain piece to save time)
assemble the blocks into 7 rows of 5 blocks each 
rotating every other block
rows 1, 3, 5, and 7 will begin and end with a blue block
rows 2, 4 and 6 will begin and end with a red block
sew blocks together into rows and then sew rows together 
 to insure your seams between each block will nest with the next row you are sewing it to, press rows in opposite directions
 making do with what I had on hand I peiced the quilt backing with some special fabrics that I had been saving for just the right use
quilt and bind to finish your quilt
(I am learning how to free motion quilt, 
so please don't look too close at my stitches.) 
I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial!
 xoxo


7 comments:

  1. Love it all.. Thank you. I was going through my red, white and blue last night finding many scraps...This will work great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish, I've been loving your tutorials. You make them look so easy! Actually I made a few blocks of the square in a square in a square and it WAS easy!!! :-) And so fun! I love this rail fence quilt and especially love the red and blue theme. Thanks for sharing!

    - Dori @redfeedsack -

    P.S. Thank you for all your continued inspiration on IG. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this red/white/blue rail quilt! Thanks so much for the tutorial -- Love the patriotic theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Trish, Thank you, I am going to follow this tutorial and make another one:):) I just love it. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love it! I can't keep up with you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 17, 2016

    Oooh! I think I might have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt and thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.