April 5, 2015

how do you choose fabric

If you were to describe yourself based on the fabric in your stash, what is the first word that comes to mind?
Whimsical?
Modern?
Eclectic? 
Low volume?
Americana?
 
How do you choose your fabrics?  Do you look specifically for the color, subject matter, texture, etc?  Do you mix and match or do you buy complete fabric lines and strictly use them together?
Being a "first generation quilter" I have learned a good bit about myself by the fabrics I choose.  For starters, I am a "sentimental quilter", in other words I am drawn to fabric that speaks to me.  
In 2013 when October Afternoon and Riley Blake Designs introduced Sidewalks I knew immediately that I wanted to build a special quilt with it.  (stay tuned for the reveal of said quilt-wink)  Those sweet images of childhood tugged at this momma's heart.  Not to mention my own memories of growing up.    

Something else I realized about my fabric choices ... I like variety.  Scrappy quilts are my very favorite to create and variety allows optimum scrappiness.  Which make my heart happy - wink 
Fashionable Fabrics has a fabulous selection of fabric!  Every fabric in this post is from their site (click on red letters to see each one up close) and there are so many more to see!!  Be sure to visit Fashionable Fabrics for your fabric needs.

5 comments:

  1. Eclectic Bohemian says it very well thank you. Sounds so much nicer than "this n' that"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I make yo yos and rag balls, I look for small prints.
    Something such as a kitty face (for instance) isn't going to show up well on a yo yo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm Traditional but lately I have been trying all styles. A little modern too. Not good at improv. I have been quilting for over 30 years so my fabric collection has a little bit of everything for the young at heart and traditional, civil war, flour sack and primitive. I will tell you one thing, I am tiring of all the pastel teals, pinks, and mint greens that every designer seems to be creating these days. Or maybe I am reading too many blogs that use those trendy fabrics. I have them too because I sew for all kinds of interests but I would buy more fabric if something different came along. A good Kaffe Fassett explosion of color sets my creative mind in action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By your definition, I am a "sentimental" fabric collector. The fabric must be pretty and have my favourite colours in it. The print must be eye-catching - flowers, animals and scenery, but can't be overwhelming. I wish I collected more low-volume prints. I am always looking for them when I start a sewing project!! XXOO
    Bronwyn
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you, Trish! A sentimental fabric collector. Certain fabrics just feel right. Bright primary colors...or sweet pastels. There are so many more choices now than when I began quilting. The Riley Blake is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.