November 6, 2014

BEST.DAY.EVER! quilt at the Moda Bake Shop.

Check out my latest tutorial over at The Moda Bake Shop!  Then come back. Because, I have to tell you the story behind this picture.  I'll wait!
OK.  
So. 
I have a crazy love affair with this plane - my husband is OK with it - so it's all good!  
It is a 1949 North American T-28 A and is located at a municipal airport not far from my house.  
The pilot's flight pattern is often overhead while I am outdoors.  Which is so awesome!!  I'm telling you, you just can't miss the sound of it!  Be still my heart. 
Every time it flies over, I stop what I am doing, take a deep breath and just stare.  
When I have to drive into town I take a quick peek to see if it is there at the airport, blow it a kiss and go on my way.  
And yes.  I do the same thing coming home.
When my BEST.DAY.EVER! quilt was finished, I hopped in my car with my camera and quilt and drove around town taking pictures.  I wanted to find just the right spot.
On my way home I noticed my dear sweet trainer (T-28A) was parked and the hanger was open!  
Eep.  
My heart skipped a beat.  
I did a very fast and illegal U-turn and drove back to the site.  No cars were around.
(1948 Stinson Reliant - just one of the really cool planes here)
When I arrived I was greeted by the mechanic (very nice guy!) and two nice older gentlemen, who, after listening to me rattle on about how much I love planes and how enamored I am about the ones there in the hanger, sweetly helped me stage pictures on them. 
I'm tellin' you ... heaven.
Oh but wait!
It gets better!
I mentioned the plane outside.  
My plane.
I asked if it would be OK if I took a picture of my quilt on it (and yes I held my breath while waiting for an answer).  The mechanic was more than happy to let me and one of older men walked me out.
OK.  So go with me here.
Remember in jr high and you had a crush on a really cute guy who every time he said hello, you became week in the knees.  Ya.  I've got it bad!
The closer I got to the plane I could hardly believe this was happening.  I have only seen it at a distance and never thought I would have this amazing opportunity.
What you can't see in this picture is just how high the wings are off the ground.  I am 5'2" on a good day and these wings weren't much lower.  So you know what that means?  I had to climb to get on to them.
I climbed up the side of the plane, imagining all the servicemen who in the 1940's would have done the very same thing, prior to training for their mission.
Then when I reached the top I literally sighed.  I tucked a corner of the quilt into a hand slot, crawled half way out the wing, and I just sat there.  It was so incredible!  I didn't want the moment to end.
The irony of the name of this fabric and what actually happened the day I photographed it, is just uncanny!
It truly was the BEST.DAY.EVER!
Special thanks to Kathy for 
her beautiful quilting!  
I absolutely adore it!!  
You are just the very best!  
Love you friend!    
xoxo

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I was OOhhing and AAhing(with an occasional giggle) as I read your post. I'm always on the lookout for quilt props(cars and trucks, old houses and barns). I too have been known to slam on the breaks and do illegal maneuvers just for a quilt photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :o)
      We are two peas in a pod! :o)

      Delete
  2. Love your Quilt and I loved your story behind it. When I make your pattern I will think of your BEST.DAY.EVER. Story along with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic thrill it must have been to see that beautiful plane up close AND take photos of one of your quilts with it! Now when you see it fly over it will truly be "yours" :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best story ever to go with best day ever. Love the photos btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a truly fun moment for you! I love this quilt story! Now you have this love connection with YOUR plane and your quilt. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the story...Love the quilt!! Best Day Ever indeed!! xoxo

      P.S. I deleted the above comment......typing gremlins :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my word, I love the quilt and adore the story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome story! I think I somewhat understand what that meant to you. I started to get teary-eyed and held my breath while reading. I am beside myself when an FA-18 or something similar goes by - Love the Blue Angels! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO SORRY to say but I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED with this pattern !!! I fell in LOVE with this quilt when I saw it. I am using Moda Prarie jelly roll and coordinating fabric. I have made my THIRTY blocks and am ready to square them up to 10.5" BUT.......
    5 strips at 2.5" with 1/4" seams = 10 " !!!!!!
    So NOW what do I do ???? I have followed your instructions to a "T" marking them off step by step. Am I the ONLY one to have this problem ????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.