June 18, 2013

tutorial tuesday. grandma's flower garden pillow.

Grandma's flower garden is one of my favorite quilt patterns, so when Lori Holt shared her fun half hexie rulers with me, I knew exactly what I was wanting to make.  I chose a smaller project to get a better hang of piecing half hexies.  I found a favorite fluffy pillow and made a cover for it, while using Lori's tutorial here for cutting and piecing instructions.
To start, I had drawn out my plan ahead of time, then collected the fabrics needed (see below).  My pattern calls for the 5" half hexie ruler.  My pillow finishes at 20.5" by 30.5".  You will need to determine the size of pillow you have and what your top needs to finish at.  My pattern calls for : 28 white 5" squares, 23 pink 5" squares, and 4 yellow 5" squares.
Here is the layout before sewing.
I was a little over zealous with the ironing so some of my points did not match up.  Which is a bit of a stinker!  Lesson learned!  Just remember to be careful.  wink.
I handquilted the top with batting and a sheet as the backing.  I have an old white sheet that I keep on hand to cut from, for just this purpose.  The backing is inside of the pillow case, so it serves more as something to quilt with, rather than for appearance.  Here is a snippet of my handwork in process.  It was a relaxing project to have - handquilting is always so enjoyable to me.
After the quilting was finished, I created an envelope type backing and bound the pillow as I would a quilt. 
taa - daa
a soft and snuggly pillow
If you decide to make a grandma's flower garden pillow - be sure to let me know!  I would love to see it!  wink.

fabrics used :
gingham is Gypsy Girl by Lily Ashbury for Moda

 linking to:  
http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c52ef53ef0192ab3fe501970d-pi

and
Fresh Poppy Design

15 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 18, 2013

    Hello Trish! First off it is always a joy to me to find crafty peeps who love The Lord! I love your hexie flower quilt! I am going to explore your pics of it!! Plus the rest of your blog too!! Blessing, Miss Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your pillow!! The colors are gorgeous and your stitching is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 18, 2013

    Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, I love the hand quilting on there:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius. love the 3 color look with plains, it speaks vintage beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love your hexies. Your hand quilting is just beautiful.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I just love this! And I am so glad you made a tutorial for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pillow Trish! I'm inspired to make one, must get that ruler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pillow!!1 I love Grandmother's Garden anything, but this pillow - and your hand work - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I love the hand quilting-perfect finish for the perfect pillow! :) Meant to tell you before I like the new look of your blog. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pillow is beautiful!! I definately want to make one, but first I have to buy Lori's rulers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute Trish! I love it. And Lori must be so happy to see a new creative way to use her rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very fun and your hand quilting is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful Trish!....and I love that you used the yellow Daisy Cottage.. It's one of my very favorite prints:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.