So instead of going out doors in the heat and humidity this past weekend, I chose to stay inside and clean out my scrap box. Momma Mia there are a lot of scraps in there! My solution - anything under 2.5" goes in the trash. I first cut 5" squares, then 2.5" strips and what remained, 2.5" squares. The rest? In the trash.
With the 5" squares, I added more diamonds to my collection. Super easy!
It is fun being able to see fabrics that were tossed in a box, become something!
I'm not sure just how far I will take this. Actually, the 5" squares are under control now. It may turn out, this batch goes back into the closet until I end up with more of this size scraps.
The strips on the other hand ... oy!
I could be doing this all week!
ps. I am also listing fabric scraps and larger pieces in my etsy shop. Here are a couple :
There will be more as I organize.
Thanks for visiting today.








Pretty, pretty pretty!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your 2,5 thing about the trash..I no longer have the patience of a pioneer woman LOL !I once read that they used to sew 1/2 inch pieces to each other to make a whole to make a postage stamp quilt :) I think Im sticking to 2.5 :)
ReplyDeleteI love your diamond squares. So happy and colorful.
ReplyDeleteFlowerLady
This is on my to do list too, but not at the top. I actually came across a box of scraps while cleaning out the shelves that made me just groan, close the box and set it aside. I don't even know how much of it is big enough to use. It's great to make them into something beautiful though!
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me girlee. What a great idea. Right now my head is flooded with visions I am just not sure where to start first lol. I love both your lay outs. I am just in love with scrappy.
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a great day.
Hugs
donna
Scraps can get out of control so quickly, can't they? I have been tempted to cut them to a consistent size, but haven't done it yet. You are inspiring me....
ReplyDeleteI'm with you. Under 2.5 I have to throw out. We have to draw the line somewhere.
ReplyDeleteSuch pretty scrappy blocks! Perhaps I should give that a try someday. :)
ReplyDeleteI sew need to do this as well. What beautiful blocks your scraps are making!!
ReplyDeleteIt's probably too late - but, if you wanted to get rid of those 2.5" bits I would be MORE than happy to take them off of your hands (or keep them from your trash). Just if any more pop up =) I'm working on some EPP and I don't have enough of a stash yet to finish it. Getting from anywhere and everywhere I can.
ReplyDeleteOops - I was signed in with my work account ^^
ReplyDeleteShoot me an email if you do come across anymore of those scraps: mrsquiltingb@gmail.com
Love your scrappy blocks! I'm with you on the 2.5" thing. I've got to set limits. I hate throwing fabric out but I'm certain I will never use the itty bitty scraps. So out they go! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, last fall I cut mine into 5" and 2.5" strips too. Anything smaller went in the trash; anything as least fat quarter size got saved as is for now. I've thinking about sewing them up in scrappy stripey quilts but perhaps I'll try your diamonds :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so good to organize all of your scraps! This is something I really need to do sometime. I keep making scrap quilts, but the piles just don't seem to be shrinking much.
ReplyDeleteYour scraps are pretty, but the blocks are even prettier!
ReplyDeleteHate sorting my scraps but love the scrappy creations that come from them. Yours are beautiful!! Great job!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun project for summer! The blocks all look great!
ReplyDeleteWonderful quilt top, very summery!
ReplyDeletesuch a great little block for scraps! Love the bright colors!
ReplyDeleteGreat diamond blocks! I've been feeling an itch to get my scraps in order of late and that looks like a perfect project to throw into the mix ;) Blast - so much for consolidating WIPs!
ReplyDelete