April 24, 2013

overcoming.

It is sort of silly the things I fear.  Not like boogy man fear, but more personal fear.  You know, like making that apron that looks super hard and you wonder if it will turn out like the one in the picture - so the pattern sits - you know - like forever, or sewing a zipper (I knowRight?  It's just a freakin zipper!), or the fear of sounding like a big dork because I shared from the heart on my blog.  Trust me, I have hit "copy all, delete" on more posts than I care to admit!
But today I will start by posting about, yes, a fear (I am not allowing my fingers close proximity to the delete button!).  And even though I faced it head on, I can say with all honesty, the fear is still there.  But at least I am walking toward the fire and not away from it - this time around.  That counts for something, right?!  wink.
Remember my scattered quilt post?  There's something I left out.  I have wrestled about listing it in my little etsy shop.  And because I hyper analyze life as I know it, to death, it just sat.  I love this quilt, I loved making it, I loved hand quilting it, I loved binding it, I loved washing and drying it, I even loved photographing it like a favorite childBut I was really wanting to list it for sale.
I believe in my work, I know the care and time it takes to create something like this, and so that is not what I feared.  I guess it is the vulnerability of the idea, placing something "I made" for sale.  That has never come easy for me, again not for lack of quality, but more because it is a part of me that I am hoping others would like, and well, what if they don't?  I have opened and closed my little etsy shop a few times now, mainly for that reason.  I know ... silly right?  Why can't I be normal and fear stuff like : spiders, the dark, flying in airplanes?!
So all that to say this - I listed it! Granted I have hovered of it like a mama bear protecting her cub, hitting refresh every 5 minutes to see if anyone has looked at or  favorited it.  See ... hyper analyze!  wink.
So, we will see what happens.  Fear faced, beloved quilt listed, growing through the process.  wink.

18 comments:

  1. Your work is always beautiful! I always love visiting your blog...your honesty is so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certain that your lovely quilt will find an appreciative buyer I can see what it is hard to part from though! Everything we make with love has some essential piece of our heart sewn up in it!
    Liv xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there is anything odd about your fear. Maybe because I feel the same way about my quilts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all feel that our creations are a part of ourselves/an extension of who we are and no one likes "rejection" (real or perceived). So we push forward, we let go(?), we give, we sell. If it remains in the "listing"/for sale category for too long we/I begin to second guess myself: is it not good enough?; overpriced?; something amiss? It is the devil's work to cast such doubts and it is our Creator's gift that we must focus on. You are so very talented and your creations are so lovely! Trust in yourself (words aimed at myself, also!!) and go forward enjoying the gift/talent we have been given. Blessings and hugs.....Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truth be told, I am the same Trish. It's why I haven't opened my own shop yet even though everyone around me tells to just jump in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish, you are sooo amazingly talented, blessed with a fabulous gift and your work is oh-so-lovely. Let go and let God - well done for taking that step.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is lovely, and someone who appreciates heirloom quality items will buy it and LOVE it. My customers frequently email me with wonderful messages about my work...
    there will always be the chance that a "MEAN" person may purchase your item and say nasty things, but your work is too cute for a "MEAN" person to purchase :) Fear not!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I experienced "fear in reverse" when I donated a quilt for the Handmade for Newton auction and it sold for a higher price than I expected... I had to lay it out a few times as the bidding went up to reassure myself that it was worthy. When the buyer contacted me to see if I made quilts for sale I was flattered but decided that donating them works best for me. My Inner Perfectionist would take all the fun out of quilting if I did it for $$!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilts are beautiful and I know that there are so many people out there who will pay to have one! Your piecing is gorgeous, not to mention that you hand quilt your quilts! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is beautiful! I look forward to your post everyday for inspiration! Keep it up! I bet your quilt sells fast :)

    Ann M...lovequilt

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome post! Clapping for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work is amazing Trish!! And, what a treasure this quilt will be!! Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful ... I think we all have a little self doubt when it comes to our skills, well done for taking a leap of faith. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely, positively gorgeous quilt! If I didn't quilt myself, I would buy that quilt! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a beautiful quilt! Nice work Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your quilt and I know how much work went into since I am in the process of hand quilting a batik 9 patch. The price is holding me back. Believe me, if I had the money I would buy it in a second! Don't compromise though, the quilt is worth the price so don't give it away!
    Karen L.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My little etsy shop is still empty. I have a fortnightly market and my customers ask if I sell online and each fortnight I say "very soon". Time to "leap". Thank you for your wonderful words. So lucky to have discovered you from your comment on Kate's sneak peak of her beautiful new fabric - I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trish, thank you for being so open and transparent. Your work is beautiful and I know exactly how you feel. I have a little Etsy shop too (17 Little Things) and I struggle with putting things out there and feeling like I have to justify the price and all that. Thank you for listing this quilt ... it's delightful. Wonderful use of color! You have given a lot of us the courage to price the work of our hands at a fair level ... and to be proud of our creativity. I enjoy your blog and wish we could share a real cup of coffee and a long chat sometime. For now I will enjoy visiting in this virtual neighborhood. Keep up the good work ... Leslie from So California.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.