January 22, 2013

not for the squeamish (that includes me)

Well today started off a lot differently than I had planned.  While squaring quilt blocks, I cut a hearty chunk of my left index finger ... offOnce I got the bleeding to stop without throwing up or passing out, the throbbing pain set in.  Which I enthusiastically welcome above the other two.  So needlessly to say, there will be no sewing taking place today.  For that matter, nothing that requires my left hand.
I sympothize with those of you who are also squeamish and I hesitate writing this post but for the caution to others who use rotary cutters.  I was using a brand new blade on a new cutting mat.  The mat is going back and I will reorder the type of mat I am use to using, with many more grid marks, that won't require my fingers being so close to the blade.
I hope to return with a much happier post in a day or two.  I hope your week is off to a great start!

36 comments:

  1. Hi there, Ouch!!! I'm so sorry this happened and ruined your sewing day-but thankful it wasn't worse. I had a friend, when I first starting using a rotary cutter, that warned me so much about how easy it is to cut off a finger. That has stayed with me throughout the years. I hope your finger heals quickly and that the pain isn't too bad.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Trish, I'm so sorry! I hope you heal up fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowsers!!!! I am glad Hello Kitty is taking care of you. As a quilting teacher, I put the fear od GOd into my students about Rotary Cutters. But accidents do happen. Get better soonest. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it heals fast so that you can get back to your project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTDT, took eight stitches to put it back together. Yes, it hurts but it heals well. I am curious about your mat type. Could you share your preference?

    I wasn't even quilting when I did it. I have had my rotary cutter since 1986. What I have used it most for is cutting stabilizer. My mistake was being in a hurry and slapping it down ON the ruler where it promptly skidded along my finger. I am not squeamish but I did take pictures to warn my DILs, sisters and aunt to be careful. I no longer use my rotary cutter when I have been up all night working and stayed up all day.

    Get some rubber gloves for doing other house hold jobs for a while. Need to protect your pointer finger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the second person I've read about doing this in the last week. Yikes! I am treating my cutter with kid gloves now. Hope it heals up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Accidents are never nice, I hope your finger gets better soon! I do like the plaster though! ;)

    Jerra xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting the bandaged finger and not a bloody nasty one. I am way too squeamish! Hope it feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel better soon, and I am getting my protective glove back out. It always seems such a bother but I am going to try and be better about using it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oy. I hope it heals quickly. I highly recommend polysporin to speed things up. I always watch really closely what I'm doing. This is the 4th post in the last year where a blogger I follow has cut a chunk of their finger either off or just deep and bad. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! How terrible... I am just waiting for this to happen to me one day. I've been close a few times when I am not focusing properly on what I am doing or rushing things through. After seeing your pour little index finger wrapped in a cute (!!!) Hello Kitty band aid I will absolutely be more cautious in the future. Hope you will heal quickly, these cuts tend to be nasty and take a while before they get better. Ouch again.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch!! My left pointer finger has taken such a beating between rotary cutters and sewing machine needles. I hope yours heals quickly. And the "Keep Calm" mug seems especially appropriate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OUCH!!!!! So sorry!!!! At least you have a cute band-aid! ;) Heal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, ouch! I'm so sorry this happened. It's a reminder to me to be careful! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for your injury and hope your healing is swift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OW OW OW!!!! Hope it heals up quickly so you can get back to the sewing room! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. EEeek, poor you Trish - hope your finger is better soon. I'm sure the pretty Hello Kitty band-aid will help ;-)
    Hugs,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Trish, I'm so sorry! You know how I almost passed out when I cut my finger and all I did was accidentally brush against the blade. I can't imagine how much more serious your injury is...take care & rest that finger.

    I have a friend who was using her rotary cutter on the floor & accidentally stepped on it. I almost got sick when she told me....lesson learned? Don't cut on the floor. :)

    I'm getting so squeamish as I age.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Darn. I hope your finger heals ok, the pain is not fun. Thanks for the warning. My friend had a bad accident like this 2 yrs. ago. She has been quilting for forever...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ouch! So sorry this happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Feeling a bit woozy now. I hope the cute bandaid cheers you up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank goodness you had a Hello Kitty bandaid. She makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poor you! I hate hand cuts. So annoying! We need our hands for so much. Other than quilting. :)
    I hope you are feeling better. At least the bandaid is cute. That should help. :)
    Hugs,
    Shann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Poor you! I hate hand cuts. So annoying! We need our hands for so much. Other than quilting. :)
    I hope you are feeling better. At least the bandaid is cute. That should help. :)
    Hugs,
    Shann

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is not fun!! I had a student do that in a class I was teaching. She bled forever. I felt so bad for her! Be careful and hop you heal quickly

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahhhhhhhgh! What do you mean "a hearty chunk"? I'm cringing, and is it just the angle you took the photo at? Your finger looks short. Please tell me you didn't actually cut the end off or something!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry...I am always afraid when I change my blades! Hope you are better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Been there, done that. It is awful. Not only that, it prevents sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Been there, done that and enjoyed a lovely ER visit to get the bleeding to quit. It's an awful feeling, isn't it? I won't go into detail. Just thinking about it makes me squeamish. I liberally used triple antibiotic ointment on my wound for 6 weeks to help aide in healing.

    My heart just aches for you....=(

    ReplyDelete
  30. I did the same thing to my right index finger! (I'm left-handed.) It'll be OK soon, but your finger may look a little different. : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ouch!!!!Poor you!!! Your accident shows how careful we need to be with rotary cutters! So sorry you had to go through the shock and the pain and now the inconvenience of this injury. I hope you will heal up very soon dear Trish.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  32. So sorry about your finger! Hope you heal quickly and are back behind your sewing machine in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I recently burned the back of my hand on the side of the iron. The pharmacist told me that holding my hand higher than my heart would make the throbbing stop, and it did. You might want to try that.

    Hope you are healed and quilting again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ouch! So sorry to hear about your mishap...I hope your finger is on the mend.
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  35. I did that at a retreat once! Took forever to stop bleeding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.