October 22, 2012

spelunking.

spe-lunk-ing 
: the hobby or practice of exploring caves
 Isn't that a fun word?   
What a fun day I had last Saturday.  I helped my friend partially clean out a storage unit.  As it turns out,  the owner was a crafter and a quilter.  We were able to get about half way through and I thought it would be fun to show you some of my goodies that I brought home.
I just adore those little calico's that are no longer available.
I nearly squealed when Debbie handed this book to me.  I have had it on my Amazon wish list for the longest time. 
Amongst the fabrics was a stack of 20 Sun Bonnet Sue blocks.  They are appliqued and then hand stitched around the edges in black.
Also, lots of colors of bias tape, which will be perfect for pennants and edging on pillows.  I can hardly wait to play with them!  Plus two more zippers to add to my others.
Aren't these spools cute?  I can't decide if I will use them to wrap my ribbons around or create Christmas ornaments with them.  What would you do?

24 comments:

  1. SO lucky! What great finds Trish! I have that book too. Maybe we should do a project together? Love the fabrics, I'm sure you'll have a ball with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi !

    I stumbled upon your blog and what a lovely blog it is!

    What great finds you came across, WOW,... and if you do not have any idea what to do with all those spools,..ship 'm over to me,...LOL..

    Check the internet / pinterest for ideas, there are so many things you can do with those spools!

    Kind regards,

    Hedwig

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness Trish! What AWESOME fabrics, and the Sunbonnet squares too :) You are one lucky duck. I also have that book and love to browse through it just to look at the lovely decorating ideas. Have a Happy Monday - hope you get to play with some of your new treasures :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness Trish! What AWESOME fabrics, and the Sunbonnet squares too :) You are one lucky duck. I also have that book and love to browse through it just to look at the lovely decorating ideas. Have a Happy Monday - hope you get to play with some of your new treasures :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You did find some neat goodies. How exciting that you found a book you've been wanting. Don't you just love it when that happens? I consider that a God thing. Love the fabrics. They are pretty. Have fun playing with your new finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! The treasures got better with each photo!!! My stash contains some of those fabrics, also (no longer available!). The future is very colorful for you......love that book, too! Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh fun! The spools would be really cute with colorful twine on them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a score! so glad you were blessed with such awesome crafty goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great time Tricia!...I recognize alot of those prints that I used to piece quilts with back in the day before the quilting fabric explosion hit!...The yellow with black is a real find!
    It's a piece from Aunt Gracies very first 1930's reproduction fabric line.
    I remember that I was so thrilled when it came out that I bought 1/2 yard of the full line from my LQS....I have long since used all of them up stitching happy quilts:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great goodies you found! I have that book and I love, love it!! I've made the little hearts quilt a couple of times for new born babies. Super cute!! Have fun with your goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post to read. I bought the Little Quilts book when it first came out and it's still one of my favorites. I am so happy these items landed with someone (you) who can appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find!! The fabrics are all so sweet and a new book to boot. You are a lucky girl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I am squealing with you! You should have named this post Christmas in October. What a blessing. Hugs to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You scored big time!!! What a fun adventure - love the little wooden spools and the Little Quilts books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treasure trove Trish ...lucky girl!
    Liv x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Tricia. How fantastic for you. I see some super winners there. Nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!! Did you ever hit the jackpot. What is money when you can have fabric. LOL I see some Aunt Grace fabric too!!

    Have fun with all that.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great cave spelunking-------you found some wonderful things. The Little Quilt book was my first quilt book that I bought back in the 80's. It was good then still good today, I think it is the best of all their books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved spelunking and my boys do it often in scouts...you did well for yourself...smiles..Renee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what treasures Trish!! I adore all those calicos! So pretty!! The spools are so fun, and I am sure you will create such cuteness with them!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are going to have FUN sewing with all your new goodies! That book was one of the first quilting books I ever bought, and mine is well used and dog eared. I still love it. Yaaay for spelunking in storage units!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Girl I had a blast with you! I'm so glad you found something worth your time...we'll hit that unit again, when things settle down for both of us! ;-)

    love deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what amazing finds Trish!! i just love those sweet calico fabric's **swoon**

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.