In the evenings, before bed, I have been reading The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (c 1343-1400). Written in the late 1300's, the tales tell of a group of traveling folks, who have embraced a challenge. The best story teller, en route to Canterbury, will receive a free meal at the Inn they have recently left, on return of the journey. Currently, I am reading the Knight's tale.
This morning before my day gets too busy with chores, yard work, and grocery shopping, I will take a few moments in my quiet home to read a little bit further.
What are you currently reading?


I just finished Redwall yesterday. Yes, it is a book for younger people, but I tend to agree with C.S. Lewis that "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond."
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful Trish, I am not reading anything. I think it is time to start though. Thanks for the encouragement!! Love the little peak at your quilt! Enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteJust about to start "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, for my Book Club next week! Enjoy Chaucer xx
ReplyDeleteI am reading a fun summer read by Melody Carlson about house flipping. Easy to pick up and read when I have a few minutes!! xoxo Debbie
ReplyDeletegreat read...while in college I had to memorize the prologue...
ReplyDeleteWhan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour...
absolutely wonderful.....
what am I reading...Acts...
blessings,
Kathy
I took a class on Chaucer in college. We were split into groups for the Canterbury Tales (we read Troilus and Criseyde as a large group) and my group was assigned the Pardoner. My final paper was called "Who is sleeping with the Pardoner? Sexuality in the Pardoner's Tale" - my favorite part was getting the paper back and seeing that my professor wrote "Not me!" in response to the title! ;) Enjoy your read!!
ReplyDeleteI am reading a historical fiction novel called Vienna Prelude by Bodie and Brock Thoene. It is the first book in a series and is about a young Jewish cellist in the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in 1936.....very interesting so far.
ReplyDeleteI live there! Well, not in the book but in Canterbury! :) The cathedral is beautiful, I'm really beginning to appreciate my city! I'm reading Little Women again, for the millionth time :)
ReplyDeleteJerra xx
I like your post Trish
ReplyDeleteHave a fab week
Lots of love
Ella
I am reading "Night" by Elie Wiesel. very moving.
ReplyDeleteAlso on a lighter note, "Dove in the Window" by Earlene Fowler. Have you read any of her quilt block named mysteries?
Reading? bwahahaha, Brides magazine.
ReplyDeleteThis was one of my favorites in college. I have been revisiting some wonderful literature too...enjoy your days...smiles..Renee
ReplyDeletexo! thanks for helping me to remember to take time to be silent and enjoy good things. xo
ReplyDeleteWow...the tales sound really interesting, of course I'm familiar with the writings but never really knew what they were about, I don't know how I got through school without having to read at least some of it. The only book I've read so far this summer was "My Father's House" by Corrie Tenboom, I find her so inspirational :)
ReplyDeleteSmiles, DianeM
After watching all the Marple and Poirot movies I decided it was time to actually READ Agatha's novels. ;-)
ReplyDeleteThey're a bit (quite) different from the tv series. Am I surprised? no. ;-)
We read Chaucer during the homeschool years...he was quite bawdy by memory. I blushed a lot. LOL!
Hugs
Jenny
I read that in school--I wonder what it'd be like to read it for pleasure instead of being made to! LOL If you enjoy that, you should try Karen Maitland's The Company of Liars. It is about a group of travelers escaping the plague. I guess a band of travelers from the 1300s is what ties it together in my mind.
ReplyDeleteMy current book is The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. LOVE his books!
OH Trish , a book has to REALLY grab my attention now a days..Im bored with the first page and toss them most of them even the "classics" bore me to sleep..So unless it really , really holds my attention I dont even bother with books anymore. I am intrigued by Jennifer Chiaverini's book The Union Quilters and also trying to find Clifford Stoll's book The Cukoos Egg to read again . That book got my atttention because it is about two opposites a computer hacker techno guy who helps his lawyer wife to be, to piece a patchwork quilt together as he investigates the famous Hannover Hacker.
ReplyDeleteI am currently revisiting the Old South! I am listening to the audio version of Gone With The Wind. It leaves my hands free to knit {and wash dishes, etc....} that way!
ReplyDeleteOh, I need to start something new...I have so many on my "to read" list but kind of want something historical.
ReplyDeleteI have such wonderful memories of studying the Canterbury Tales in college...I spent a whole class one semester with a professor whose love for the tales made us all entranced by them!
Looks good - I've just put it on my Goodreads list. I'm reading The Black Velvet Gown by Catherine Cookson - set back in the 1830s....I've become a super slow reader in my 'old age' - I get distracted easily :)
ReplyDelete