So it looks like this Northern California girl will be experiencing her very first hurricane. I am actually a little excited about it. I don't like the devastation a hurricane brings, but I have to confess, the power of nature thrills me. Whether it be the crashing of waves on the shores where I grew up, the jolt of an earthquake, the wonder of falling stars and meteor showers. Just all of it.
Being 40 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico (as the crow flies), we can expect a good bit of rain and wind. I have worked my tush off in the yard, cutting branches and building a burn pile from the like. So I plan to get that burned before the wind scatters it all over our property.
Baking a couple loaves of bread and laundry are on my short list of things to do as well. We can anticipate loosing power for a little while. I don't expect it to be very long. This may only end up a Cat 1 or 2.
I was able to get the larger pieces of my hexagons sewn last night. I am thinking, after I fill in the gap, trimming it and sewing a border around the sides. I am surprised at how big it is. I didn't realize how much I had sewn.
Much of it was while caring for a dear elderly friend of mine, who has since passed away. My heart tugged a little while working on it last night. Remembering the doctor's appointments I would drive him to and the time we chatted and laughed while in his home. What a precious Godly man he was and I am so thankful to have had him and his dear wife in my life.





Lovely hexies Trish! I, too, am enjoying stitching some hexagons lately. Stay safe in the hurricane! We were fortunate here to just get some rain and wind with no loss of power. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteLaura
Lovely just lovely !!
ReplyDeleteYou have style Trish
Love Ella
Stay safe Trish!
ReplyDeleteIssac just finished up in my area, lots of downed branches and leaves, nothing major! Enjoy your first hurricane :)
ReplyDeleteHunker down, my friend! I'm sending two quilts your way today...yeah!
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking of all the yard work you just got done! I love your hexi quilt! A lot of love and time has gone into it!!
ReplyDeletePraying for no major damage or complications as you "enjoy" your first hurricane. If you like the thrill of nature, move to TX. We have our share of tornadoes....although there's nothing too thrilling about camping out in the tub with a huge screaming cat, in my opinion anyhow! :)
ReplyDeleteLove your hexies-they are so cute!
let's hope the hurricane passes by without much damage :)
ReplyDeleteLove the quilt. Hope you stay safe during Issac.
ReplyDeleteyOUR HEXIES ARE WONDERFUL..IM CUTTING MY FABRICS AND USING A CHARM PACK TO MAKE HUGE HEXIES..WE WENT THROUGH A HURRICANE LAST YR HERE IN NEW JERSEY, WE ARE 50 MILES FROM THE SHORE, WE GOT HEAVY RAIN AND HEAVY WIND, A LITTLE SCARED BUT KNEW WE WOULD BE OK..TREES COMING DOWN WERE A CONCERN AS THIS IS AN OLD TOWN. 300 YRS OLD.WITH BIG OLD TREES. WE SLEPT DOWNSTAIRS IN THE LIVINGROOM, AND HAD FLASHLIGHTS, CANNED GOODS, BOUGHT A HUGE AMMOUNT OF WATER BOTTLES, GRANOLA BARS, AND SOUP. HAD A CHANGE OF CLOTHES HANDY IN A BAG IN CASE WE WERE ASKED TO LEAVE, AND CASH, ATMS DONT WORK SO HAVE CASH !!! OH A FULL TANK OF GAS.. WE MADE IT BUT THOSE PREPARATIONS WERE INDISPENSABLE...ESPECIALLY BOTTLED WATER..GOD BE WITH YOU..
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful hexies!! Hope you get all your preparations done, and stay safe my friend! Have a lovely week! xo Heather
ReplyDeleteStay safe Trish. I moved away from all that when I had the chance many years ago. Been there done that, not doing it again. I hope it's not too bad of a storm for you. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful hexagons. Sorry about your friend but your quilt will remind you of the happy times you shared together. Stay safe in the hurricane xxx
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, so pretty! Do you have to sew them all together by hand? That would be my downfall I'm afraid, but oh so pretty!
ReplyDeleteBatten down the hatches, I'll be praying you all weather the storm just fine:>)
Wow look at all those hexies!!! So pretty!!
ReplyDeleteHope Isaac isn't too ferocious and that you and your family are safe and sound!! xoxo Debbie
Trish, I was just listening to your local news, I think they like to scare people !!!I forgot to tell you about how wonderful it is to have faith in God! during the storm last yr. our city was in the middle of 4 tornados, one to our north, one to our south and on west and east as if intentional, they were formed and began moving away from us we were in the middle, yes we were concerned, but I also saw the Hand of our Lord in it!!!
ReplyDeleteI must admit I think that it would be rather exciting to experience a hurricane, but I hope you remain safe and that the devastation is minimal. I really love the hexigons, they are lovely, my eyes were immediately drawn to the gnome one! :) I love gnomes! It will be a lovely reminder of your dear friend.
ReplyDeleteJerra xx
Take c are and stay safe. Your hexie quilt is outstanding and a gentle reminder of the days you spent with your friend.
ReplyDeleteI used to live in Miami so I completly understand the good and bad anticipation of a storm! I hope it turns out to be not much and you get to work on some projects. I also hope you'll consider joining my (new) monthly hexie party: http://sarahdidit.blogspot.com/2012/08/hexie-linky-party-81712.html.
ReplyDeleteThose hexies are truly a work of art - so, so pretty. Stay safe!
ReplyDeletexx
stay safe i hope it doesn't get to a 2
ReplyDeleteYour hexie quilt is amazing! I hope you will be safe and have no damage from the wind and rain...I can't even imagine a hurricane...we hardly ever even get hard rains here!
ReplyDeleteStay safe Trish! I just love looking at all the little fabric pieces that make up your hexies :)
ReplyDeleteSmiles, DianeM
Enjoy the storm but be safe!!!! Love all your sweet little hexies
ReplyDeleteI have just come across your blog and have really enjoyed looking through it...I love your Hexie quilting!
ReplyDeleteThoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your hexis are amazing. Smiles...Renee
ReplyDeleteI love to look at the quilts I've made while going through some life changing experience whether it be a wedding, birth, illness,or death. It reminds me of what I was thinking and praying for at the time. I really do Pray thru my stitches just like your lovely hexies.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Gmama Jane
This is my first visit to your blog and I think I'll become a follower and come back!
Wow, that is SO pretty so far! I'm anxiously waiting for the time I will be able to work on my own projects like this! Just another week or 2!!
ReplyDeleteYour hexagons are amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteAren't hexagons just the best? Remembering you in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWow! Look at that... I make hexagons when I travel. find it hugely addictive and relaxing but I have no idea what to make out of it. The thought of making a large quilt makes my knees shake... But this is amazing and I am inspired. Maybe this is the key, to just do a little bit here and there and let it all take its time. Beautiful.
ReplyDelete