August 3, 2012

a numbering system.

Recently, I have been corresponding, via emails, with a few new quilters as well as those who are wanting to take the plunge into learning how to quilt.  
I love the experience of sharing little things I have learned along the way!  It is so much fun to help others!  But believe me, I am like a quilting sponge, I still have so much to soak in.  I feel like such an infant in the area.  
I appreciate those of you who have been willing to reach back and answer my (sometimes endless) questions about quilting.  I treasure those lessons learned.

Today I thought I could share a little technique I have used since the beginning of my quilting journey.  It is a numbering system.  It helps me to keep my rows and blocks organized.  Yes, I am a little type A - ish!  ( .wink. )

After putting a good amount of thought into the quilt lay out, this has been a fail proof method for me, to bringing the quilt pattern to pass.  This is especially helpful with patchwork quilts, which is constructed with square blocks.
1.  I lay out the blocks on my floor, in a design that suits me.  I like to have colors balance through out.  Not too many darks or lights in one place.  When that is complete, I number each row, and then pick them up in the order they were laying.  I have lots of little stickers from homeschooling, that work perfectly.  They are small and come off easily, no sticky residue.
2.  Take the first two blocks from row 1 and sew them right side together.  Then do the same for row 2, row 3 and so on.  When you get to the end of your first batch of pairs, clip the thread, laying each stack, in order, aside.  I typically just put them in my lap, starting with the the last pair sewn, in order to the first pair.  Does that make sense?  That way when you pick up the next square from row 1 it will be sewn to the proper row, and so on.
 
Here is a picture of the process in motion.  By this time, the quilt rows were just about complete.  Notice that the numbers are not taken off, and every row is sewn in the order it was placed.
 3.  After all the rows are sewn, they are taken over to my ironing board.  Each seam is given a press on the backside with my hot iron.  *Truly, this is a step you don't want to skip.  It only takes a couple seconds and will allow your ironing to be so much more smooth.*
Notice, the number stickers are still there.  Yep.  They will not come off until each row has been sewn together.  They serve as a reminder to which direction the rows need to be ironed.  After each seam has been pressed, the row is turned over to the right side and seams pressed in one direction.  Ie: row one is pressed toward the sticker, row two is pressed the opposite, and so on.
4.  Pin and sew rows together, in order, locking seams as you go.
And ... ta-da!  Quilt is complete!  Take those little stickers off at this point and it should look exactly as you had it laid out.
I typically hand quilt everything, but because this is a wedding quilt for a sweet bride and groom to be, it is neatly folded and ready to be mailed for longarm quilting.  
Kathy at Stitch by Stitch is such a doll and quilts beautifully.  Your first quilt is at a 20% discount and your return shipping is always free!

7 comments:

  1. Looks very pretty! Lovely fabrics :) Have a great weekend! xx Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm forever mixing up my fabrics! I'm going to try your system. It looks like a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Trish! I have sometimes pinned little paper numbers on, but using tiny stickers is such a good tip :)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to get it! It's perfect for a bride & groom - simple...and your tutorial on numbering is easy to understand, saves time and is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I do, too! It helps alot for those of us who can turn things around so easily. And I also do not remove the numbers until they are sewn together, nothing like going to all that trouble to separate colors, and then switching the row from top to bottom ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip! I'll have to try it. THanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same thing with numbering the rows :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.