One of my quilting goals has been to make a log cabin quilt. So while I was at it, I thought I could share my method with you.
First up. My choice of fabric. A layer cake of Vintage Modern by Bonnie and Camille. A birthday present from Woody, in May. Thanks Sweets!
I need to note, there are 42 pieces of fabric and NO wiggle room. So be super careful while cutting and sewing.
Cut each layer cake in 2" segments.
Then sub-cut those segments as pictured above. Note how little waste there is. Which is right up my alley. I hate to waste anything!
I divided lighter colors and darker colors into separate stacks. My lighter stack is pictured above.
And this is where the fun begins. Sew each block (RST), as numbered above, press open, with a darker side and a lighter side.
Be super careful with your 1/4" seams.
Your block will measure 8.5"
** the 2.5" square in the middle is cream, cut separately from Strawberry Fields by Fig Tree. You will need 42.
Thank you for visiting my
little blog today.
If you use this method for
creating a log cabin,
I would love to see it!
xo





Hello!
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this!
It's being saved in my Quilt Block folder!
Have a nice day,Linda
msstitcher1948@yahoo.com
Ooooh!! I love the Vintage Modern as a log cabin block!!!! Another project to add to the list!!! xoxo Debbie
ReplyDeleteSuch a pretty block, everything Vintage Modern is pretty!
ReplyDeletebrilliant, trish!
ReplyDeletei'll have to try this.
{love that vintage modern fabric, too.}
Very clever and I love the fabric line!
ReplyDeleteYou are so smart!! That is great!
ReplyDeleteLove this block! Thanks so much for the tutorial.
ReplyDeletePurty!
ReplyDeleteLove! What a great idea! Pinned and ready!
ReplyDeleteHave bookmarked it in my 'tutes'.....thanks ever so much!!! Simple and brilliant....such a great combo!-)
ReplyDeleteLove log cabin blocks! This is on my list, too!! Love the Vintage Modern! Happy weekend to you! xo Heather
ReplyDeleteThat's fabulous!
ReplyDeleteYou make this so much simpler. Where on earth have you been for so many years while I struggled. Thank you for the break down. I will be trying this very soon. Smiles..Renee
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing how you cut your pieces for a layer cake!
ReplyDeleteso perfect!! So how many log cabin blocks do you get from a layer cake? i love this!
ReplyDeleteShe says there are 42 pieces plus the center square. There are 10 pcs per square (which is 10" long about)So I divided 42 by 10 and only get 4 squares. Am I wrong? there is .2 leftover that way. Seems it can't be correct....
DeleteI believe a layer cake of 42 squares will make 42 log cabin blocks.
DeleteLove the log cabin design - and the Vintage Modern fabrics. Definitely need to add that to my shopping list! Happy Weekend xx
ReplyDeleteLove this and love Vintage Modern..I want to try this, I have made log cabin's before but not this way...So how many log cabin blocks do you get?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tut...
I love log cabin blocks and yours is gorgeous in that wonderful Vintage Modern fabric! You are very clever the way you cut your fabric so economically Trish!
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a happy weekend.
Helen x
Thanks Trish for share your tutorials!!!!
ReplyDeleteThey are wery useful for me and I hope to have time to try this Log cabin block with your wonderful tutorial.I want a log cabin quilt!!!!!!
Hugs from Italy
AWESOME!!Thanks for figuring this out and sharing it.
ReplyDeleteCJ
What a great idea...I love this!
ReplyDeleteThank you again for figuring this one all out for us! Your log cabin block is beautiful...love the fabrics :)
ReplyDeleteSmiles, DianeM
I love the cutting breakdown. I like making my log cabin quilts using this piecing method, seems to keep my blocks really square Nice work!
ReplyDeleteTrish, I'm starting this project today...! Thanks for the wonderful cutting list!
ReplyDeletewould like to see finished quilt...beautiful and sounds simple think I will try it
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this. x
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying what line of fabric you used, often times when I see something I like I can never find it. Cute colors you put together.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! Especially when you find a layer cake you bought and are now wondering "What was I thinking"
ReplyDeleteI can't make the math work to get a finished 8" block. Each 2" wide strip finishes to 1.5" -- 5 strips across will finish to 7.5". As near as I can tell, the cut lengths of the strips are all off by 1/2". What am I missing?
ReplyDeleteThe center square is cut 2-1/2”, from extra fabric other than the layer cake; so center square will finish at 2”.
DeleteI’m always looking for neat ideas for my layer cakes. Love this idea! Thank you for posting!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I used this tutorial to make my very first quilt and I so appreciated your clean and easy instructions. I would never have been able to follow it if you hadn't made it so simple. Thanks!
ReplyDelete