*updated to show quilt completed and neutral fabric measurement adjustment* please read instructions thoroughly, before cutting fabric
I had so much fun making my no waste mini granny square tutorial, that I couldn't leave the possibilities alone. So this time I will show you how to make a much larger block.
Material needed :
1 layer cake (Strawberry Fields by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda)
1 charm pack (Strawberry Fields by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda)
2 3/4 yard neutral fabric (Bella Solids for Moda in Bleach White)
1/2 yard binding (Avalon Candy Apple Red Dot by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda)
4 yards backing (Bella Solids for Moda in Leaf)
1/2 yard binding (Avalon Candy Apple Red Dot by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda)
4 yards backing (Bella Solids for Moda in Leaf)
This will give you enough blocks to make a 5 block by 7 block quilt top - in which you may add sashing to enlarge, or sew blocks together as is.
* please note : my quilt is 5 by 6 blocks and measures 65" x 78" *
* please note : my quilt is 5 by 6 blocks and measures 65" x 78" *
I actually opened my beloved Strawberry Fields by Fig Tree and Co. for Moda. The layer cake was a birthday present, from my daughter Katie, in May 2011 and the charm pack was a sweet gift from a dear friend.
The charm pack has 42 pieces of fabric and the layer cake has 40, so I chose 30 of my favorite of each and began pairing them up.
Cut the layer cake piece of fabric into 4 - 5" squares
After you have all the sets cut, stack and set aside.
Now you will want to cut the neutral fabric into strips of 5" wide x wof (width of fabric).
**please note - it has been brought to my attention that cutting 5" x wof is too small and should be 5 1/2" x wof - I personally did not have any trouble with 5" but to be on the safe side, please cut 5 1/2" x wof** Then sub cut those strips into 5 1/2" squares, you should be able to get 5 from each strip.
**please note - it has been brought to my attention that cutting 5" x wof is too small and should be 5 1/2" x wof - I personally did not have any trouble with 5" but to be on the safe side, please cut 5 1/2" x wof** Then sub cut those strips into 5 1/2" squares, you should be able to get 5 from each strip.
Each block requires : 1 - 5" square for the center
4 - 5" squares for petals and 4 - 5 1/2" squares of neutral for edges (which need to be cut in half, corner to corner - yielding 8 triangles)
Sew top row, middle row, and bottom row as arrows show. Press and sew top to middle and then middle to bottom row, press.
this is what it should look like
Center triangles as shown above. Sew and press.
Square to 13.5" square.
Taa - daa! You did it!
Now just be careful of those points. You will want to still have a quarter inch seam allowance for either the next block or sashing.
If you decide to use this little tutorial and post it, I would love to drop by and see your blocks. Just let me know!
Thank you for visiting.
I hope you are having a great week!
xoxo
note :
note :
I truly loved creating this quilt and pattern. With that being said, it took me a little bit of time before it was completed. I did not want to hurry the process along and so I am just now able to show the finish.
I hope you enjoy! You have been so sweet and patient with me!
A shout out to Kathy for working her beautiful quilting magic!! If you are looking for a longarm quilter who will love your quilts as much as you, Kathy is a fabulous choice! Truly! I highly recommend her. Check out her monthly specials.
















Love your block! I just made a block using charm square size yesterday, love the result. I used 51/2 as the setting block size. It will be a quick quilt!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Tute, you make it so easy with the precuts. :) I have a layer cake and charm square that I think will be just perfect for this.
ReplyDeleteright oh!
DeleteI so love strawberry fields fabric! Thanks for the instructions for this square I will be giving it a try
ReplyDeleteYou're tempting me to break out of my comfort zone :) I can't wait to try this! xoxo Debbie
ReplyDeleteOh I love the big one!
ReplyDeleteGenius...pure genius. I love a fabulous tutorial that I can put right to work. Thank you my dear for always inspiring. I will let you know when I am finished....Smiles...Renee
ReplyDeleteI am hoarding a layer cake of this same fabric!! I've been waiting for just the right pattern. I found it!! Now to find a charm pack....
ReplyDeleteFound a charm pack. Ordered two. Good to go when it gets here. Whoop!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this tutorial! I'm terrible at doing quiltmaths, so this will be very helpful. :)
ReplyDeleteI really, truly cannot wait to try this, and now I know why so many quilters have unfinished projects hanging around! I feel compelled to finish what I have started, which means two quilt tops (inspired by you!) that I have all the blocks for and the quilting on my star quilt. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteOh the humanity!
I am thinking that you should have a disclaimer about how addicting these can be!
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial! I noticed on my grannies, I didn't leave the quarter seam allowance around the edges, so my sweet squares will get cut off a little. Oh, well, what's a girl to do! ;) xo Heather
ReplyDeleteAwsome!! Gotta love it! Hugs, D
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing. Love your block.
ReplyDeleteHugs
donna
Great tute! Thanks for figuring this all out so that there's no waste of the precious layer cake :) I just love Fig Tree's fabrics - your fabric combos are beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteSmiles, DianeM
I don't see your Facebook link so I can follow you? Are you on Pinterest?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I'll have to try one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I'll have to try one.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing your tutorial!!
ReplyDeleteOh, am I glad I found this! I have a charm pack and layer cake from the same line, that I have been saving for too long. This would use them in a brilliant way! I love the mini tutorial, too! So glad I've found your blog!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the "shout out" - I truly love what I do! Nice tutorial = thanks!
ReplyDeleteCan you explain the layout of the blocks on point? Would the quilt need to be sewn by rows rather than by blocks?
ReplyDeleteHi there. I was unable to locate an email address for a response, so I am leaving one here. Once you make the blocks, you will see that the middle appears as an "x". There is no need to set on point, just sew your blocks together into rows. :o) I hope that helps. Trish
DeleteThis is beautiful!!! I can't wait to try it....thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWow- I am so thankful I found this tutorial. I love the looks of the Granny Squares but every time I did a youtube search I only found the crochet-type Granny Squares. I finally thought to do a search on Pinterest and found you. This is a great tutorial and I have pinned it, AND marked it to my favorites. I have a couple of projects that I am in the process of doing right now but this is definitely on my next 'to-do' list. It's so fresh, and vintage looking (which I love), and you used such happy colors. I know you posted this a long time ago but I just want to let you know that I appreciate it TODAY. ;) Thank you for doing this. The steps and pictures are PERFECT, clear, and well done. Happy Quilting! Sew Sandi Makinitheaven.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteHi... love this tutorial... I too, like another commenter used 5 !/2" white setting blocks... works much better.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that worked out well for you. I used 5" squares and even had wiggle room. Strange.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFirst I was drawn to Fig Tree fabrics, I love them! But now I can't wait to try your very good tuto. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI am having trouble getting the blocks to finish at 13 1/2". There is not enough of the white to make it wide enough. I am using a 1/4" seam. I am new to quilting but I have measured everything very carefully but my points are coming to the very edge Can you help me please??? hymaintnc@aol.com Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI wish I would have read the comments before I cut, some before said 5 1/2 inch squares worked better than 5....That probably would have solved your problem also.
DeleteI am so sorry that you ran into such trouble. The 5" squares worked perfectly for me and even gave wiggle room. (as seen in pics)
DeleteThanks for the tutorial. It is just what I was looking for. I tried the block out with some f some scrap fabric and like it a lot so I'm ready to do a full size quilt. I have looked at several posts and think your version without the sashing is perfect for me. I can't wait to get started :-)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful quilt and tutorial,thank you!
ReplyDeleteThere is no way mathematically, that 5" white blocks cut in half and sewn with 1/4" seams, sewn to the printed 5" blocks will make a 13 1/2" blocks overall. Wished I hadn't cut all the material first. This is my first quilt and I've learned to be careful of the directions someone has given. It might not be quite right. It's a nice looking quilt you made there though. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this great pattern that was on Craftsy. I had no problems with the 5" neutral squares and each block has turned out. The only difference I have made to your pattern is to add 2 inch strips between each blocks and also between rows. I have 7 blocks across x 7 blocks down because I wanted a king size quilt. The pale pinks and pale green centre square look great with the neutral cream fabric I have chosen. Thank you so much for your pattern
ReplyDeleteI, too, had the problem that others had in not having the 1/4" seam allowance on the edges of my blocks. I had the original version of you tutorial that did not suggest cutting the neutral to 5 1/2"; I think that would have been the key. Also, my finished block did not measure 13 1/2". I am a fairly experienced quilter and really struggled with my points not matching exactly (yes, we are our own worst critics). Overall, I did finish the quilt and think it turned out charming. It is a housewarming gift and I'm sure the recipient will love it. P.S. because the triangles are cut on the bias, there should be a note of caution when working with them so they don't stretch out of shape. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI too used the original pattern of 5 inches but cut my squares to 12 1/2 inches and worked from there. I agree about a note on the bias edges but I used Best Press and sprayed them with that and it helped.
ReplyDeleteHello!!! I just found your pattern on Craftsy, and I am "sew" glad I did! A word of caution: Some layer cakes are NOT 10" square! I found out when I signed up for Amy Gibson's quilt workshop a year or so ago. There were many complaints on the fabric not being large enough, and Craftsy issued refunds because some of the same layer cakes were of different sizes, from 9.25" and up. This particular layer cake was the rolled up kind, from Free Spirit, unlike the flat Moda layer cakes. Hope this helps!
ReplyDeleteI just came across this cute quilt. It's a gem. I always have a plan for the leftover fabric I have when I cut fabric for a quilt I'm planning on making. For instance, almost finished quilting one note for my nephew using Tim HOLTZ Eclectic Elements. It called for large rectangles with smaller squares on two opposite corners. So, as I sew and squared up the block, I had 2 waste triangles on each opposite oorner. I sewed these 2 pieces together as my leaders and enders each time I sewed the quilt for my nephew. And for the leftover pile, I would spend an extra 15 minutes a the end of the day catching up making these squares. So now, as I'm about to start his binding, I'm looking forward to sewing the 100 five and one half inch blocks made with the waste triangles. This one is for his father, who is my brother. This is a method I have been using this year to use up almost all of the fabric from one project as I use yardage as opposed to pre cuts.
ReplyDeleteNow this quilt is just a perfect one to use for my next project that I have cut out and ready to go. And it just happens to mainly 5.5" squares in darling sweet colors. I cut a healthy supply so I can choose what I love while I'm making the quilt. And for those "leftover" cut squares, I pre plan a use for them. And whatever is still left, they go into my clear plastic box marked 5.5" squares. Sometimes the second quilt is given to family/friends and sometimes to charity. I have found that I have not only made more quilts with this plan, but that I feel great using that fabric up! I also work to find "hard" finish dates as I plan my quilts.. In the case above, my brother is having a large family picnic in 10 days. Both the one for my nephew and the one for my brother will be presented that day. Thanks for the tutorial as I'm going to put it to good use.
I am new quilter and would like to know how many DIFFERENT squares did you have? The material I want to use is only sold by the yard - not charm packs -
ReplyDeleteThanks
I am new quilter and would like to know how many DIFFERENT squares did you have? The material I want to use is only sold by the yard - not charm packs -
ReplyDeleteKatrina