October 28, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival. Fall 2011

I'm here.  I'm here.  I'm really here!  I have admired Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival every season and now and so pleased to actually be participating!  Yay!
The quilt I am sharing with you today, was a real labor of love.  A king sized quilt created with 5" squares and hand quilted, for our master bedroom.
And here is where it all began.  It took me around a year to save and collect fabrics that were dear to me.   Many of them were either gifts or trades.  In the evenings when I snuggle under our quilt, to go to sleep, I know who each fabric is from and it blesses my heart that we have such a sentimental and special quilt.
Here is a shot of the quilting process.  I pretty much moved my table and chair into the living room, smack dab in the middle of the house and stole away moments to put a stitch in.  In the evenings while we watched a show was also premium quilting time.  That way, I was with my family and able to stitch about.
The quilting was done "quilt in the ditch style" which really helped me stay right where I needed to be.  And I used perle 8 thread.  I love the nubby feel it gives.

Thank you so much for dropping by today.  I am looking forward to visiting each one of Amy's Blogger's  Quilt Festival participants!  I have a hot cup of coffee and time set aside, just for this!!  
Have a lovely day and please come again!

ps.  The winner of my little give a way is ... Laura at Swing Kitten Studio!  Congratulations Laura!!  I am contacting you shortly, for mailing information.

117 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt and labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the quilt! Can you believe I don't have a quilt for our bed. But I'm starting one soon and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful and I like your quilting idea of using the heavier thread. The quilt festival is fun and it's going to be a fun weekend. Enjoy! And, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish, your quilt is very beautiful! I love the fabrics and colors.
    I do a lot of quilting in the evenings when I watch TV with my hubby, too. It is so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful quilt...love the investment in this quilt...the memories and the time spent make it priceless. Congrats to your giveaway winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely quilt! your colors are so rich and perfectly combined. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still love this quilt Trish with all it's patchiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun colors- wow- that must have taken a long time hand quilting. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt! Thanks for the giveaway Trish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is beautiful! I have an old quilt that belonged to my mother in law. I have no idea how to clean a quilt...on a gentle cycle? Wondering how you would ever wash the one you have?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I admire you for hand quilting it:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful labor of love and such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's your first time at BQF too?!?!? Yay! I cannot believe that King size quilt. And so many 5" squares. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Trish, your quilt made my heart skip a beat! What gorgeous colours and oh... Love it! I just finished assembling a 36 patch king for our bed and I recognized the feeling you describe. :) I am so looking forward to quilting it as well and the memories that will be stitched into it! Greetings from Cyprus, Valentina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the beautiful colour palette!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A king size quilt!?!?! WOW! This is gorgeous, what a great quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your quilt. It is just what a quilt should be. Simple, full of memories and used every single day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, king size AND hand quilted? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cottage charm this quilt gives you, wow, King size, in 5" charms that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this quilt, and it proves that even a simple pattern. stitched with love, is beautiful! I recognize some of the fabrics I sent and it makes me smile:>)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your comments on my blog. Not sure I did it correctly.Hopefully I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to Laura!
    Trish, I remember when you were quilting this. It looks so nice in your bedroom. So bright and cheerful. You inspire me to want to quilt. Too bad I can't do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there, I just came over from Kimberly's and so glad I did. I can see we love many of the same things-especially quilts so I want to join you and continue to be inspired. Have a wonderful weekend-love your quilt.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  24. WELL, WHEN YOU COVER YOURSELVES WITH THE QUILT YOU WILL DREAM OF THE STITCHING ANGELS LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a warm and cozy quilt---it's perfect! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a stunning quilt with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So very impressive and so very beautiful . . .

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful quilt and so much more special due to the traded fabrics AND your hand-quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. There's nothing like sleeping under a labor of love. Truly a beautiful quilt on many levels.
    Have a great day,
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  30. And what a king size beauty this is. Fabric combinations are simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great quilt, it has a very cath kidston vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so pretty and cheerful -- beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a special quilt! And the fact that you handed quilted it makes it even more special I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this and love your pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a pretty and cheerful quilt! Hand quilting a king size quilt is quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful quilt! I like the idea of knowing where the fabric squares came from - just like a memory quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a special quilt! Your room is so bright & cheerful. Like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Welcome to the festival, and what alovely entry!

    Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog, and thanks for sharing yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is a beautiful quilt. King size is huge!!! Well done for hand quilting a quilt that size!! Your combination of fabrics is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your quilt is really beautiful and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your quilt is really beautiful and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVELY trish, but i have already told you that... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. So very pretty! Love those fabrics used and that you hand quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a lovely quilt. Simplicity is so often the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  45. i love it. patchwork quilts like this will never get old for me. i especially love that you quilted it by hand. i want to do that with my next quilt.
    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a sweet story to go with a great quilt! How fun to have collected fabrics that way and have it to snuggle under with happy memories. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is a lovely quilt. Your colours are gorgeous. I have to admire your patience with all that hand quilting. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think I have a lot of those same fabrics in my stash. The picture on the bed shows the quilt off to the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think I have a lot of those same fabrics in my stash. The picture on the bed shows the quilt off to the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  50. what a great quilt! I this what the 5" squares were for that you were collecting? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Your quilt is so beautiful and so inspiring! I think squares make the best quilts. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  52. It's beautiful!! I'll need to try quilting with heavier thread... but seriously, you are amazing - king size?!?

    ReplyDelete
  53. Beautiful fresh colors. Kudos to you for hand quilting a king!

    ReplyDelete
  54. love the old-fashioned looking quilts!

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Beautiful....huge and beauiful.....hand quilted huge and beautiful. great job.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love it Trish! One of my favorite color combinations of ALL time. (I have a very similar quilt in my family room that is one of my favorites to snuggle with. :) And I especially love that you associate it with the places and people you've collected the squares from.

    So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Now I am inspired to finish my own king size top into a quilt! This is just beautiful, and I know how much work it is because I hand-quilt, too! Thanks for sharing your one-of-a-kind beauty with us!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I wish I had time to do ore hand quilting, its what I love most about the whole process, so relaxing and so rewarding. You did a really lovely job with your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wonderful memories and great hand work. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  60. -what a wonderful quilt, so many beutiful fabrics, thanks for sharing and a special thank to you for visiting my blog and becauce you left a comment ☺
    Bente - Germany
    I like to QuiltBlog

    ReplyDelete
  61. oh it it GORGEOUS ! and the hand quilting makes it even better ! I do not hand quilt and I am really impressed with your work ! thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is so bright and pretty and easy to see why it's a favorite. I'm so glad you have such a treasure to snuggle under each night.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Did you say KING size? Holy cow, you rock! I love your quilt. It's so charming, and must be so fun to pour over the different fabrics. x

    ReplyDelete
  64. Wow - I can't believe you HAND-quilted that! And it's King sized! What a ton of work - but definitely worth the labour. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Look at all the comments! Everyone loves your quilt! Me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. What a simply charming quilt. Love the vintage '40-50s feel.
    Thanks for visiting both my entries and commenting. Hope you are able to get to all the entries! I tried last time but the list kept growing and growing. We have more time this year but that just may mean even more entries.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Your king sized quilt looks just perfect on your bed! Thank you for sharing a bit of the process you used to make it. I think it makes it really special that you collected fabrics for quite some time and that many friends contributed to the cause! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Your darling scrappy quilt is fabulous and so charming! I love that you patiently collected fabrics that were dear to you and then lovingly quilted them by hand. I too love hand quilting and stitching in the evenings alongside family. I'm sure you treasure it, and the memories, each time you snuggle beneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  69. What a beautiful, special quilt, and isn't that what it's all about?

    I made a charm quilt once and it was one of my favorites. I loved looking at all the fabrics in it. We wore it out after 20 years of having it on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Definitely a labor of love! My only hand quilting was a wall hanging. My hat is off to those with the patience to hand quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Wow, what a great project! It is a lovely quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. The labor of love quilts are the best! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  73. this quilt is absolutely adorable! i love the clean, primary colors in sweet prints.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Bright, cheerful and happy! Those were the first words that popped in to my head! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Hi! Your quilt so wonderful! I love simple square pattern because it's showing well all the fabrics. You have used lovely colours and it's nice to know from where every piece has came!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Your quilt is lovely! All the pretty fabric play nicely together in this simple design. Sometimes these makes the best kind of quilts...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  77. this is a wonderful quilt!!! love your labour of love, it looks so cosy and gemuetlich :-)
    have a good day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  78. lovely quilt, great colours, well done!
    thanks for dropping by at my blog!
    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  79. I love this quilt, so colourful and beautiful! Your pictures of it are gorgeous. Such a lot of work and so worthwhile, filled with sweet associations. The quilt festival is a wonderful idea. Have a happy week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  80. It's lovely that you enjoyed the process of making the quilt so much. I admire all the work you put in with the hand quilting.. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  81. I can't get over the fact that you hand quilted such a large quilt! It looks great and I'm sure it so fun to sleep under at night.

    Thanks for sharing your project -- love your blog btw so fun =)

    Lyanna

    ReplyDelete
  82. It is a beautiful quilt and I love how you collected the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Beautiful quilt - love all of those pretty fabrics together!

    ReplyDelete
  84. I love this quilt. So special with all your treasured fabrics. Thank you for your lovely comment on my Quilt Festival quilt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  85. i love the colors and the fabrics in your quilt. you can definitely tell it's a labor of love...

    ReplyDelete
  86. Your quilt is a lovely labor of love and I'm sure it will be treasured. I must add that your home looks warm and welcoming.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  87. I love this quilt!! Just wonderful!! I'm your newest "flower in your garden"... come visit me some time..Hugs-- Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  88. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I take my hat off to you, hand quilting a king size quilt! I haven't hand quilted a bed quilt since 1980. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  89. so gorgeous!!! I realy love the colors and patterns on this one.
    Happy November Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  90. Look at you! It is so fresh and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  91. What a beautiful quilt! I love the colors you put together. Looks like a fun project to work on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Wow what a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Your quilt is beautiful and I love how you chose all the different fabrics to use.

    ReplyDelete
  94. I really like this quilt! It makes your bedroom look super cozy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  95. Wow! Hand-quilting a king size quilt! what a feat! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  96. Beautiful quilt. I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  97. A beautiful hand quilted king sized quilt...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  98. Congratulations to Laura.
    You have such pretty fabrics in your quilt. It's absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  99. What a nice quilt and also a story that goes with it. It is really something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  100. So, so pretty, and what a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Hand quilting a king-sized quilt is indeed a labor of love. What wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  102. Lovely! I agree, it is so nice to snuggle under a quilt that you have made yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  103. Wow! You put a lot of effort in to that one and it turned out beautifully! Thanks for your lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  104. wow - that is a gorgeous quilt! I'm so impressed that you hand quilted such a large one too!

    ReplyDelete
  105. This is quite wonderful. I can't imagine the hours that went into it! Thanks for sharing your special quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  106. Your quilt looks wonderful on the bed, I love the cheeerful fabrics and the hnad quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  107. This quilt is pretty and I also like the background story. To handstich such a huge quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  108. Fun fabrics and each one has a story -- what a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  109. Oh, Trish, it's delightful! So sweet and pretty and sentimental - just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  110. What a great mix of prints! I really should start planning a bed quilt for myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  111. I love the fabrics in your quilt. Your quilt looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  112. What a beautiful quilt. You did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  113. Love is in the air! I can feel it. Wonderful quilt to treasure for generations to come. How challenging to make such a big quilt. Well done. ♥ Annette ♥

    ReplyDelete
  114. I love the quilt and the story behind it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.