(Image via Flickr.com/Allan Hack)
This morning I have been "busy as a bee" (snicker). While seeking out supplemental material for our upcoming Biology course, I discovered this youtube video on the honey bee. If you have a few minutes and are interested in this sort of thing, take a look.
Bees fascinate me to begin with, but it was not until recently, when we began toying with the idea of one day owning our own, that the love affair blossomed. Earlier this year, Sue Bee Honey came to our home, hoping to determine the whereabouts of placing bee boxes on our property. When we discovered they were contemplating 200 boxes, we obviously declined.
Even on 10 acres, that is just way too many bees. There are a great deal of families in our town who have extensive property and can safely host that many bees. We are thinking more like ... oh say ... one box. Doesn't that sound more maintainable?? There are so many benefits to keeping bees. From pollination, to extracting honey. Will keep you posted as we explore the possibilities. Until then, the learning process is intriguing.Have a nice day and "bee" sweet!



yesterday i was sitting watching my little girl at swimming lessons. i was holding her beach towel that is bright yellow. a bee landed on me and tasted it. it was fun.
ReplyDeleteI love bees. I think they are beautiful, and useful and truly one of God's most awesome creations. We even toyed with getting some to harvest our own honey for a while. Unfortunately, we discovered I am one of those people who cannot be stung without serious allergic reaction. Bummer. I carry life saving medicine with me everywhere now in case I get stung.
ReplyDeleteI still love the little guys, but now it is from as far away as possible!
My dad had bees...about 3 or 4 boxes.Good memories (mostly because he didn't have a bee suit and relied only on a smoke can to confuse them...and he usually ended up running away cursing...pretty funny to a kid). The honey was delicious and now I am a major honey snob.
ReplyDeleteMaintaining bees is a lot of work. My father in-law has had them for years and has kept us in honey.
ReplyDeleteHe passed away last year and we had to get rid of the bees. Wish you had been close. We could've passed them on to you!
My daughter is allergic so we don't want to attract any more bees than is normal. In spring when our orange trees are in blossom they are everywhere and all over the ground. She stays inside for that month most of the time. We have removed some of the trees but have not got all of them out. I do love honey though. Yum!
ReplyDeleteThat is so neat! Thanks for the link Trish. The girls loved watching the video. I wish that we had acreage so that we could have a box or two. That would be so great to have our own honey. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I have a big house in the country, I shall have bees.
ReplyDeleteThere is something magical about them.
And I love their little buzzy noise too!
Xx
Ahhhh honey!! I just had my first ever orange blossom honey. Bought it while at Holly's in St. Augustine, FL. It was awesome...a more milder taste than the other honeys I have had.
ReplyDeleteHi Trish!
ReplyDeleteI am afraid of bees. Period. But I love honey!
Jayme over at Tales from the Coop Keeper (there is a link on my sidebar) is a bee keeper as well. She has a few posts about beekeeping, and she is super nice and may be able to answer a few questions for you.
Good luck!
Bee's are neat.. although I admit to running when one gets near me.
ReplyDeleteMany years ago when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter my husband was doing yard work and disturbed a bee nest ~ he was stung alteast 100 times all over his body, he wouldn't run inside of the house since I was pregnant and alergic to bees. He grabbed bug spray from the garage, rolled around in the driveway and sprayed himself with raid. It was a horrible experience for him ~ poor guy. now he is very careful!
Great photos.