*edited*
I probably break every proper rule in hand quilting, but it works and I would be happy to show you how I do it if you would like a tutorial. I will warn you ahead of time though ... I don't use a thimble, I don't use a hoop, and I don't use the tug and pull method to get my knots hidden under the fabric. However, it works. I just happened to have found some short cuts along the way.

As you might be able to see, quilting in the ditch is what I decided to do. It makes a beautiful straight line on this mammoth sized quilt, which means there is no need to draw straight lines with a ruler. That takes a good deal of time to do, and would not skip it for the world, except in this case, when there is a better alternative.
Here's a little shot of the back. I needed to piece the quilt with several different fabrics and can't wait to show you all, once the quilt is finished.
I took these pictures while the sun was still coming up.
I just love how the rays peek through the shades and
gently wash over the room. It is so peaceful.
I hope your week is off to a wonderful start. I apologize for not visiting blogs as much as usual. Last week was our first week of 10th grade in our home and between building spread sheets (a life saver for me), grading papers, caring for a sick pup, welcoming my husband home ... again ... for like the 6th time this summer (so over his travel schedule), and a fun birthday party for a favorite niece ...
ok- you get the picture. {he he he} I am off to read all your lovely blogs and catch up with what is going on in your sweet world.


Gorgeous stitching Trish! Best of luck with the new school year!
ReplyDeleteTrish
ReplyDeleteYou are so talented! I do love the cheery colors you always pick for your quilts. I bet this reflects your personality.
Have a great Monday, my friend!
School starts from my 8th grader next week...I like your cheery quilting too!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the quilt all finished. I'm up in the air right now about if I will hand quilt again.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see it when you are done! Sounds like you have been very busy!
ReplyDeleteO.K. Trish, so this is your quilting table. Please explain how you quilt--------horizontal?----no hoop?-----big stitch? I am so interested in this type of quilting. I am finding that it is so difficult to wrestle around with the hoop. How about a little Big Stitch tutorial. Hugs, Betty Lou
ReplyDeleteHandquilting is a little scary, I did try it....once, and then unpicked the bit I'd sewn and machine sewed instead. I am determined, at some point, to conquer my fear of handquilting but as I have only just made my first ever quilt I think I'll forgive myself this time!
ReplyDeleteYour stitching looks very neat and very straight......perfectly lovely.
lily
Don't we all have real life things that keep us from blogging now and then? I know I do! How exciting to get strted ont he quilting of your comforter. Doing a simple patchwork quilt like this is on my list of quilts to make. Maybe I should finish the ones I have started first?
ReplyDeleteIt is turning out beautifully. I share your "doneness" with hubbies working out of town. I am over it too.
ReplyDeleteI'd be interested on a tutorial, Trish. =)
ReplyDeleteSo pretty. I still can't believe you are going to handquilt a KING sized quilt :) I am having a hard time finishing my pillow!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful stitching. Can not wait to see it all finished.
ReplyDeleteHugs
donna
I love your quilt and defintely would greatly appreciate a tutorial!!
ReplyDelete