August 11, 2011

crabapples

our garden may have tanked this year
but our crabapple tree is being most
generous with it's fruit
yesterday was my very first jelly making day - flying solo

I had only made jelly one other time - while being taught.
I felt like a nervous momma waiting for the jelly to set.
I had to laugh about Shann's recent jelly making 
experience ... I was the exact same way!
We now have 6 lovely jars of crabapple jelly
tucked away in our pantry, and that was from
only a few of the apples that fell to the ground.
I can not wait for the rest to let go of their branches.

Have you made jelly before?  Do you have a favorite?

14 comments:

  1. Years ago, when we lived in VA, there was a crabapple tree right outside the door. I made apple sauce in the crockpot with them and then put the pint jars in a hot water bath. That was the best apple sauce ever. I've made jam/preserves with blackberries and more recently made jelly with surinam cherries (it's a tropical fruit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a stud. I am afraid to can for fear of poisoning us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the heat got everything this year..and I didn't even get to the blueberry farm...this is great. I don't know that I have ever had a crabapple..

    Thanks for stopping by my blog..enjoying visiting yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post brought back wonderful memories and a few tears of missing my awesome mother in law. she made crabapple jelly (jars and jars of it) every year. Absolutely delicious. She gave me to family and friends. It is delicious on home made biscuits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never tasted it before. what does it taste like? sweet? tart?

    ReplyDelete
  6. and yes, i have made jelly and jam. my favorite is raspberry peach freezer jam.
    and jalapeno jelly. oh my. put a little of that on a cracker with some cream cheese... heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to try crabapple jelly! Is it really sour? I just canned some peach jam from our pastors peach tree, they gave us buckets of them! Five different kinds of jam and three peach pies later I can't bear the thought of looking at another! lol. I like the chunkiness of jam but we once made a huge batch of grape jelly from the wild grapes in our backyard. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm love jellys....every year I make pepper jelly...it is possibly one of those that you can use for everything...it is tart, sweet and bites back if you are not careful...lol Lovely lovely blog btw, glad I come to find you..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never made jelly either. I am not sure why because I love any excuse to use mason jars!
    I have the same question about crab apple jelly. Is it appleley?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so tasty!
    I know what you mean about being nervous. When I try something new I find myself worrying it won't turn out right too!
    Red Raspberry is my favorite jam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your crab apple jelly looks delicious, Trish! Is jelly the same thing as jam? In Australia, I have only ever eaten jam... your jelly looks quite smooth (jam is quite lumpy, here). Either way, I am sure they are both delicious ;) I love plum jam the best! Enjoy your lovely jelly and happy weekend to you ~ Txx

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU DID IT!!!! I knew you could do it! :)
    I have never had crab apple jelly before. I am ready to make blueberry for the first time now. And, I have a really good sweet relish recipe that I have made before with peppers and cucumbers. It is sooo good on brats and hotdogs. I am so proud of you Trish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes but it has been a couple of years. We had gone to the Texas hill country to pick peaches and they made the best jelly. That was my first time and I have not done it since.
    Guess I should get back up on the horse.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.