October 27, 2008

Thrifting With Purpose

I'd like to introduce you to Josette, a friend of mine, who works at Jacob's Well ~ my favorite thrift store.

When I asked if I could take a picture with Josette, her response was, "Sure, I am not wanted anymore!" Since you do not know Josette, you have no idea why she would say such a thing. I do. (some how the picture disappeared)

Josette has a powerful redemption story, that when she first shared it with me, on an isle in the store, all I could do was cry. When we first met, I instantly knew something was different about her! It was as if my spirit was bearing witness to hers!

I have been given the permission to share her story with you and I hope you will be as blessed as well as encouraged, as I am.

Josette's younger years were spent addicted to drugs. In addition to drugs, permiscuity was a common life style for her. Several children were born, one right after the other. Mixed up in drugs and having children ~ her family reached out to her in helpful ways. However, Josette was her worst enemy. She would get on her feet and fall right back down into her old ways.

As her drug usage and selling increased the law became even more involved. She was arrested on a number of occasions and in her worst moment, her children were taken away.

The last time that Josette was caught with drugs on her, she stood before a judge and accepted the option to live at Jacob's Well.

I will never forget hearing how Josette described her "original plans" for staying at Jacob's Well. In a nut shell, she would live there for 6 months, keep her nose clean, and move on afterwards. Josette explained to me how she had the biggest attitude walking through those doors. What she did not know is that the Lord had plans of His very own for her! She was right where He wanted her. His plans involved drawing and loving her like nothing she has ever experienced in life. The Lord sought after her with an unquenchable passion!

Consumed with the Lord's grace and forgiveness ~ Josette repented, and gave her life to Christ!
Since then, Josette has been clean of all drugs! Josette is a new creation!! In addition to her new life in Christ, she is actively involved with her children, each one loving her and forgiving her for her past. Josette shared the most adorable pictures of her grandson as well as a daughter. How proud she is of her family!

Josette is very quick to give all the credit to the Lord for her transformation, as well as the many blessings that have come in to her life.

After graduation at Jacob's Well, Josette remains in the home and works in the Thrift Store.


Ladies ~ this woman is remarkable! The love and truth of Christ radiates from her! I consider myself fortunate to know Josette! She challenges me (with out even knowing it) by raising the bar with in my own walk with Christ. I too have my own story perhaps a little different ~ I just hope that I can rise to the place Josette is and bravely share every thread of God's grace in my own life!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story of redemption! AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josette, you have a beautiful story-God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! I wish we lived closer. We have a lot in common. I have a burning desire to talk to everyone and spread God's love and His plan for us.. It is so cool she shared her story you must be a loving lady that she felt comfortable sharing and not judged. Praise God for her..
    Katie <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious, redemptive story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how God's plan unfolds in each of our lives! She is a strong woman and I can see the joy in her smile!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! You are a doll and I enjoyed quickly(my to-do list is waiting for me this morning!) looking over your blog! I'll be back!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.