October 11, 2008

a little catching up

I am doing a little catching up this morning. I have not had a chance to read the blogs that I follow. Nor have I had an opportunity to post. Several things have kept me preoccupied.

For starters ... last week I went back to work, very part time. It has been 16 years that I have been out of the work force and needless to say, I am needing quite a bit of a learning curve. Oy!
My "line of work" that I was trained in and accustom to, many years ago, was in large corporate offices. One of which was the location of the company's home office. The other was an international insurance agency. I am now employed by a smaller, family owned and run business. I have a lot to learn! Or should I say re-learn. Big city vs. small town has quite a range of differences. The way I see it though, this is all good. I love the challenge and am blessed to work with some real nice people!! My title "Administrative Assistant."

Next ... painting that dresser. Not so good. I painted the body of the dresser (two coats mind you) only to find out that I was using the wrong type of paint ... I suppose that learning curve weaves through many areas of my life huh? The dresser will need to be stripped and redone. Not what I had in mind. I may just take it into town and see if I can sell it! I would be out $20.00 but the option of loosing more time on this project ... well ... is not an option.

Lesson learned on the dresser ... don't paint with latex! Enamel is the one to use. For that matter, keep latex and enamel miles apart when you store it ... that way, no accidental paint jobs.


Okie dokie ... last week I received an award and I am so delighted!!! It is the Smile Award!! How precious is that? Ruby Red Slippers graciously passed this award along to me and ... well ... it made me SMILE!! Thank you so much Ruby Red Slippers, for the award!

I just love visiting Ruby Red Slippers! She is so sincere in her blogging and has a deep love for her family! She has a beautiful & welcoming home. I am so glad to have found her ... she has enriched my life (see this post)!

I had to "SMILE" when I read the rules for accepting this award. One of the requirements is that I make mistakes. Oh boy, that defines the last week of my life. Of course, you already read about my painting mishap, but there is one more and I am a bit limited to what I can divulge, but I will say this, it involved my new job. It was a bit of a doosie! To the point that it caused me to question whether or not working outside of the home was in my (and my new employer's) best interest. So ... I guess I qualify in accepting this award on behalf of my less than perfect last week ... smile!!

It is a challenge for me to pass along the award though. Not for the positive listings, I am blessed to know many ladies who qualify in those ... it is the mistake qualification that I am not finding in others. Seriously. I would really love to pass this along, but the blogs I read seem to be quite perfect! Mary Poppins perfect! Hmm ... I'm in a bit of a quandary.

With any Blog Award, it is important to pass the gift along. (With a few rules, of course!)
Here are the characteristics of the Smile Award:

  1. You must display a cheerful attitude.
  2. You must show love to others.
  3. You must make mistakes.
  4. You must learn from others.
  5. You must be a positive contributor to blogging.
  6. You must love life.
  7. You must love kids.
Here are the rules for the Smile Award:


  1. You must link back to the award creator.
  2. You must post the rules if you are a recipient.
  3. You must choose 5 people to pass the award to.
  4. You must fit the characteristics of the award.
  5. You must post the characteristics of the recipient of the award.
  6. You must create a post sharing your win with others.
  7. You must thank the giver of the award.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry about the dresser...

    Don't stress about the new job too much. You have a great work ethic and that's the foundation the skill set is based on. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to say I love your cats....so cute...sorry about the dresser. We all flubb up! Good luck on the new job endeavor...I know you will do great. cherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your not so good week! I hate to hear that the dresser didn't turn out right. Believe me, I have made MANY mistakes and I get insanely mad and want to throw up my hands and SCREAM! I am a totally impatient person and want to finish a project and move on to something else. Usually my poor husband has to fix my mistakes. I hope your new job works out (if you want it to) and that you feel more confident about it. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must not follow my blog anymore, since I am so not perfect, and am right with you on the paint thing. A few months ago (right before I started my blog...wish I had started -it would have been a bedlam moment), I touched up my entire kitchen..walls, sideboards, doors, and in the morning realized that the paint had been in the attic, and had changed to a different color. Nope, haven't fixed it yet. I then painted our door with the wrong paint....I so know the feeling and it's disheartening. I am so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am getting caught up on everyone's sites. Thanks for visiting mine. I went over to Kara's to read her 'Living Prayer'. Thanks so much for linking over to that...very powerful message.
    Good luck with the new job. You'll do just fine, considering the corporate jobs you've had in the past. : )
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kind words!! Good luck in your new job! I think it sounds exciting...The dresser thing-I am not the one to give advice on that-I could make it worse! However, I just spray painted some little things, so I am a fan of spray paint...I wouldn't recomend it for a dresser, though. Show pics. when you are done-you can show off all your hard work! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the award!

    Sorry about the dresser!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry about your dresser! :( I know how discouraging that can be and have made my share of painting mistakes! I know though, that both the dresser and your new job will turn out beautiful! :)

    Congratulations on your award! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.