
Last week I was thinking of how I could write about the topic of saving money. There are so many blogs out there that have wonderful information on cutting coupons, meal planning, clothing costs, and so on. The thought that kept ringing in my mind however is "a penny saved is a penny earned." Then yesterday, our Sunday School lesson had that exact title! I thought, ok, maybe there is something to this...maybe I really do need to share a bit of what I have learned over the years, to help someone else.
The topics that I blog about are from my own experiences. If there are any home~making helps or ideas, take them with a grain a salt. They have personally worked for our family, and may work for yours. If you try my concepts and they don't work for you, do not be discouraged, tweak what you need to and apply it to your own family.
With the cost of gas being what it is, we have tightened our belts some, around here. I drive an Expedition (fondly known as our school bus). A couple of weeks ago, I paid $75.00 at the pump to fill my tank. Apart from choking on the spot, I started thinking of solutions. That is what makes me tick, if something doesn't work, well there has to be another way! Currently, my husband commutes to work, so that helps cut our gas bill (considerably actually). Plus he is in the process of prototyping an hydrolysis function for his truck, to cut the amount of gas it takes to run it.
While that is in the works, my gas hog needs a solution of it's own. It is quite simple actually, my truck sits. I started taking inventory on the places that I drive to and evaluating my priorities. I have been combining trips into town, if I do not have two places to go to, I just don't go, unless I absolutely have to. While I am on the topic of saving money through saving gas, here is a thought, if you have a car note on a vehicle, take a look at your budget and see where you can squeak some extra pennies from, and pay off that loan! If your loan is through a bank, consider the option of refinancing with a credit union. Be wise with your money, don't think along the lines of getting rich quick and think of your car/truck as a means of transportation, not a fashion statement. Seriously.
I am a sucker for a new car smell ~ just ask my husband (I have a few of my own favorite cars/trucks that I have yet to own). However, the moment that new vehicle drives off the lot, you have personally absorbed all sorts of unnecessary costs. If you were to purchase even a new/used vehicle, the costs are considerably less. But if you JUST have to have a new vehicle *grin*, save your money, do your research on prices, and approach the car lot ... with cash! Now a days that is unheard of, however, it is possible! It can be done! The benefit of paying cash of course is the fact that the vehicle is yours. You don't owe a dime to anyone. Also, money talks. Seriously. Approach a dealership with cash and name your price (reasonably-those car salesmen have to eat too) and see if they don't take it. If they don't then simply say that you will take your business else where and be prepared to. Make it work for you! Find out what it cost the dealership to buy the vehicle in the first place and go from there. Dealerships do not want cars to sit on their lot, the faster they sell, the faster they get paid.
Hi, Tricia, thank you for leaving me a note! And welcome to blogging. I see you jumped in and got start & I'm sure you already know the fun you'll get from all the other blogs out there. Looks like we have lots of favorite blogs in common, as well as a love for thrifting & finding a bargain. Frugal living, as they say. I loved reading your posts and seeing your projects too. Looks like you are making a cozy nest for your family.
ReplyDeletePlease come back often!
Rhoda
Great tips! Love them! We haven't bought a new care in many years. We always look for a good bargain on a car that's a year or two old. We've saved so much money that way and probably got more car than we would have otherwise been able to afford. Mama loves leather seats. :-)
ReplyDeleteJust the other day I saw one of those car air freshener thingies in the auto parts store. The scent was New Car Smell. Sounds good to me!
Thanks for visiting. I enjoy your comments!
im feeling your pain. I have an Explorer and boy does sha burn the gas. I too find myself staying at home more... It gives me more time to blog with yall too, Smiles.. Susie H~
ReplyDelete