January 12, 2011

take two

Ok, so technically speaking it should read "take three" because as I was cutting loose yarn on the second attempt at a giant granny square blanket 
and I cut right in the middle of the square!  Seriously.  I sat there for a second or two, took a deep breath and then began unraveling all the layers of stitches I had done.  Oh well.  
Live and learn right?!
The reason for starting over in the first place was, there were too many mistakes in my first attempt and something I am learning about crochet, the more you stitch over it and continue on, the bigger the mistake looks.
See what I mean?  It takes "wonky" to a new level with me!
Anyhow, I tucked this away and may end up scrapping it for extra yarn.  We will just have to see.  I am not real happy with the color combination anyhow.  I like the colors, just not the placement.  
So - on to bigger and better adventures I say!!
(sometimes I sew my little collection of 3" squares into blocks 
and one day they will become a big scrappy quilt)
The sun was peeking through our back windows this morning and I just had to take a picture.  I love the muted colors and the coziness the scattered rays create.  The other day I mentioned sunny and warm temps.  Well that went away, and we are in the 20's as a low.  Burr.  This morning I sprayed my windshield with water from the truck and it froze over immediately.  Just didn't give it a thought not to defrost the window with some water.  I looked up at the thermometer and it read 26 degrees.  
Well no wonder it froze!  ha ha ha.
Remember these?
All 625 squares continue to sit right here.
I really want to dive in and get started, but I am reluctant.
Will you help me make a choice?
There is a mixture of reds, blues, and yellows in here.
Not an even amount of each color.  
Here is the question:

1.  Would you try to create a pattern by distributing the colors out semi evenly?
OR
2.  Would you wing it and just grab on square out at a time? 

Two of my biggest inspirations are
I A.DORE her patchwork quilts!!
simply beautiful

9 comments:

  1. I am trying to get caught up on my favorite blogs and start back up blogging after the crazy holiday season stole all my time away....anyway... look at you!!! Crocheting and quilting like a mad woman!! Yay you! I like wonky, so I say keep up the good work! Also, your quilt is going to be gorgeous no matter what you do! I, in my own case, like random probably because the less pattern I have to follow the happier I am. I think a scrappy quilt just screams "come cuddle up with me", don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scrappy look but honestly it never makes me completely happy unless I have arranged them to look random. I have an alternative for you. Since it is soooo big, why not break it up into chunks where maybe you have 6 piles and you make the quilt in 6 sections and just make sure you sort the 6 piles so that you have a good mix in each pile...that way it's not TOTALLY random but you will ensure you don't have 10 yellow square at the top and 1 at the bottom. That also helps keep the project very manageable since it is a king sized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your wonky crochet square is cool, I would tell everyone I made it that way on purpose:>)
    I don't know if I would make a "pattern" of the quilt blocks but I would have to lay them out and distribute the colors evenly, it would make me crazy to realize I had clumps of a certain color. I'm a little weird that way. I want to make a postage stamp quilt. Stop showing me cute quilts! I can't sew fast enough:>P Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the colors....they look just like the fabric on the left in one of the next photos.

    Balance and frequency of colors in a piece can be a difficult thing to work out. Digital cameras are great for snapping quick shots and rearrange to see if something better works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia: Thank you for your sweet comment about my pillow. You made my day! It looks like you have a lot of crafty endeavors going right now, too. I love your patchwork and I think that your red, blue, and yellow project will be beautiful no matter how you do it. I always end of laying my squares out on the floor until I find a look I like and then I stack them by row (does that make sense?). Thanks, again, for commenting! Tricia H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all....let me just say that stinks that you had a scissor accident with your granny square. I don't like when things like that happen!! I speak from experience. :(

    Secondly, I love Alicia's patchy quilts too! My vote is to just go random and make it what makes your heart smile. I just know it is going to be lovely and I can not wait to see what you create! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tricia,
    Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog...
    In fact, I just simply sew by hand with a needle and a thread (same color as the flower) the flower to the square :)
    Your blog is beautiful and you've made a great crochet job till now ;)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Trish,
    Thank you for your visit. This year has been a fruitful veg and fruit year. The freezer is full of blanched off chard, corn, spinach and yes, a big batch of pesto as well. Such a life saver when time is short coming home from work. Just pull it out , heat it up and boil some pasta with it. Yum!

    I see we have something very special in common. Me too adore Rosehip's work and those scrappy quilts are just heaven! I can't believe I haven't added you to my bloglist yet. Must have slipped in the distraction of a child needeing some attention... Lovely place, your place. Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Annette xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.