mom would have been 69 years old this month. i really wish i could have known her. she passed away when i was still quite young. it is amazing how much your life changes when tragedy strikes. mine was pretty much turned upside down.
at the same time, things happen when you are faced with the unthinkable. you come to a cross road and make a choice, pretty much at that moment. at least that is what i did, with out realizing it.
as i child, i felt sorry for myself. maybe it was a misled mourning that i struggled recovering from, maybe immaturity too. regardless, as i got a little bit older, i started seeing things differently. my missing her never changed. i actually went on a quest to know her more and more. i asked a whole lot of questions. how tall was she, was she nice, what did her voice sound like, did she have a favorite food? in which i received some of the neatest answers. i learned that my mom was not at all pretentious. she was pretty, sweet and very likeable, and my absolute favorite ... "she was crazy about you." gosh how those words healed those untouched places of my heart. i also discovered that mom could open up kitchen cupboards, pull out a bunch of ingredients and work her magic. she could really cook, and it may not have been fancy, but it was delicious.
there were some dark sides to her life that i learned as well. her childhood mainly and though it was hard for me to learn {i felt very sorry for her} it helped me to understand her even more. i would have liked to have been a friend to her. someone she could confide in and someone with a compassion that she needed.
she was so strong, for as long as she could be.
to sum up my cross roads encounter ... i see life as a gift. every day is to be cherished. every day brings something precious to the plate. even those tough times that come, are there to be shaped and molded into beauty. not that tough times don't knock my socks off and send me spinning, but after i get my barrings, i can honestly say, it will all work out. i have a zest and a hunger for life. i want to taste everything, try everything (good that is). i don't want a day to go by where i don't tell the Lord thank you. i never want my family to doubt the deep love i have for them. if i am not telling them, i want to be showing them. i never want to loose the ability to find humor in everything around me, and i never want laughter to be stifled with in me.
mom has been gone for the last 38 years of my life. she missed so much. i missed so much. i don't want to miss anything else. i want to live to the fullest extent. i want to count my blessings, be kind, and show those around me that i care. that is where tragedy has taken me. it certainly did not happen over night. there were years i wondered if i would ever get my barrings. i am so thankful that the work the Lord began in me is on it's way to completion and He has dear plans for my life. such a deep and gracious love He has. that is at the very top of my thankful list!
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. What a sweet post you wrote in her memory. I know that has been a very hard thing for you to deal with, but I am so proud of how you have overcome this situation in your life and have turned to the Lord to be your healer and to bring joy into your life. We don't understand suicide, but I am so thankful that your life is joyful now and you are able to put this behind you. Cherish the wonderful memories you have of your sweet Mom and dwell on the positive, not the negative! Love & blessings from NC!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for your loss. Some things we just don't get over with in life, we learn to deal with them. Hopefully we learn to deal in a positive way, one that will help us grow and be more loving.
ReplyDeleteMay God's love, peace and healing mercies continue to bless you each and every day.
Hugs ~ FlowerLady
This brings me to remembering our phone chat - your thoughts and questions remind me of my daughter...thanks so much for sharing...I know there's so much more! You have shown me this love that you want to share with the world - thank you!!! Thinking of you today!
ReplyDeleteJenny Lynn
oh sweetie, i can't imagine the loss
ReplyDeleteyou felt growing up and even now.
when i hear about someone taking
their own life, i always think how
much that person must have been
suffering to do that.
and then i think of how the people
left behind suffer from that choice.
i pray that your zest and fervor for
life increases as you grow older and
that you will also have an increasing
sense of His great love for you.
love,
lea
Thank you for posting this, wow.
ReplyDeleteMy heart reaches out to yours. Thank you for sharing her with us today. Asking the Lord to give you sweet blessings...
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your grief and sadness and I am grateful that you don't nurture bad feelings about your mom.
ReplyDeleteYou cannot begin to imagine what kind of desperation brings a person to commit suicide.
I did it myself (and I never say "tried", because I really could not continue living) after my 25 year daughter was operated on a brain cancer and her father left to vacation with this new girlfriend, leaving me alone to take care of our child.
As you can see, they managed to bring me back to life (for which I am not thankful) and her father came immediately back to take care of her, being himself a physician.
Although I keep living everyday's life, my world is sad and empty.
So please be kind to the memory of your mother. She must have really beem desperate.
My blessings to you!
I'm so sorry about your Mom. I know this was (and continues to be) so difficult for you. But I'm so glad you knew how much she loved you.
ReplyDeleteSuch a bittersweet story, and as someone who lost her Dad young in life, I can relate to the sorrow. I just wish my Dad had known my husband, held my children. But the silver cloud of his sudden loss, was that each day is very precious to me, since I know the reality of how life changes in an instant.
ReplyDeleteI keep you in my prayers. Thanks for sharing your heart...I was deeply touched.
You brought me to tears with your memories.... sometimes we think we have is to bad but in reality our lives are blessed in comparison to others. My heart goes out to you and your family at the loss of your mom. I lost my sister to a murder/suicide when she was only 18yrs old. I cannot imagine the loss of a mother at such a young age when they are so influencial at molding a baby girl. It sounds like you have made peace and have grown into a wonderful woman who loves life to the fullest...
ReplyDeletePrecious post. You are truly a remarkable person. My heart is so touched. God Bless. Hugs, Marty
ReplyDeleteMost of us cannot fathom what could drive a person to suicide. It must be a very sad place and I am sure it had more to do with her own sorrows than with you. You have turned the situation around, learned a different way of looking at life, and it sounds as if you have dealt with your sorrow the best you can. God bless you Trish and your beautiful outlook on life. God bless you for loving your mother in spite of your pain. This was a beautiful tribute to her.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great entry. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your mom.
Have a happy Sunday
Happy Birthday to your Mom. I can't imagine going thru all that as a child, let alone as an adult. My heart goes out to you. I know how much I miss my Dad, and I am sure you miss your Mom even more, with so little time with her. I am glad that others were willing to share their memories of her with you. Hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteTrish,
ReplyDeleteYour answer to my comment and your prayers have moved me to tears.
I feel connected to you in a very special way. May you never again have to suffer any pain in your life.
God bless,
Ahuva
Thanks for sharing your memories. No matter how long ago it was we never forget. My parents are both gone and I feel my self attracted to their siblings to find out what my parents life was like. I never thought of asking them when they were alive. But now I want to know how they met, how they felt moving away from their home town to a new town and a new business, what they did as kids, etc. {{Hugs for you}}.
ReplyDelete