August 8, 2009

yellow houses and apricot jelly


Welcome to Sunday Favorite's Hosted by Chari at Happy To Design. Thank You Chari for a fun opportunity to bring up a post from the past. As I was looking over some of my own, I ran across this sweet memory of mine. I hope that you too will enjoy the simplicity of an elderly man's kindness, as I once did.

(First posted on May 5, 2009)

After the death of my mom, my dad remarried. Our next step was moving the two of us north, to be with our new family, on the west side of Petaluma.

The safe environment of this quaint town afforded me a great deal of free roam. It was not uncommon to ride my bike for blocks, nor was it out of the ordinary for most children to walk to and from school. I am grateful for the many freedoms I had as a child.

What adventures I'd have missed with out them.

Down the street from our home lived a man fondly known as "The Candy Man." He was a gray haired man who most days could be found tinkering in his garage. He lived alone in his small yellow house. I don't recall ever hearing him mention a wife or children. What I do however remember ... was his kindness.

I needed to pass his house on my walk to and from school everyday. On my way home I would drop by, knock on his door, to which he greeted me with a piece of candy.

On a few occasions in the summer I was invited into his little kitchen where he would make a peanut butter and apricot jelly sandwich for me. As I sat at the small table, across from him, eating my sandwich, we would chat. Considering I was around 5 years old, I don't remember the content of our conversations. Perhaps we spoke of school, the weather, my new family. I don't suppose it is all that important now. It was the impression that he left with me.

And to this day I have a fond place in my heart for small yellow houses with white trim, small sunny kitchens, and apricot jelly.

10 comments:

  1. I dream of a little yellow house too!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that times have changed so much. These days his intentions would be suspect. It sounds as if you were good for each other! Thanks for sharing this memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story & love the look of your blog (I haven't been on blogs in a while ~ only lurking on Reader). So cute. Have a super weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello...

    What a sweet memory and what a sweet elderly man! It sounds like the move to the quaint little town was a good one for you and your dad! I sure do feel bad for the kids that grow up in cities (especially these days)...they really don't know or have those freedoms! I'm so thankful that I was able to raise my children in the same type of scenario. I have always been so fond of the elderly...I remember spending alot of time at the home of an elderly woman who lived just next door to us when I was growing up...I have some very fond memories of our visits as well!

    Thank you so much for sharing this story with us today for Sunday Favorites...it was so sweet and endearing!

    Have a super Sunday, my friend!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. It's a real shame that today's children probably won't ever have those experiences that we had "back in the day."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this sweet story!!! I amso glad that you chose to repost it!!! I would have missed it!!!

    This is my first visit to your blog and it is lovely!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me wonder where his family may have been. He sounds lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet story and wonderful memory.

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a lovely story! And what a lovely memory of your childhood.

    We have an old yellow house -- the little children from up the hill knock on our door all the time, to visit us, visit our dogs, just to talk and sometimes have a cookie or get sympathy for a skinned knee. I love their visits; I'm sure your neighbor loved yours, too!

    Cass

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave
a little note. Your kind words make my day!

If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a
response, please leave an email address.