
Hello and welcome to my very first quilt block tutorial.
I feel a little disclaimer is necessary before we get started. I am a first generation quilter and learning as I go. So if there is a more professional way of creating this block or books written on the matter, by all means, lean into them.
I was looking for a granny square block that is 2.5" friendly (so I can use a charm pack as well as scraps from my bin) that has no waste.

fabric needed : 4 - 3" squares (cut in half, totaling 8 triangles), 4 - 2.5" squares for outer ring, and 1 2.5" square for the center

sew initial three rows, as shown above, using a 1/4" seam (use through out), press each row in opposite directions (ie; top is pressed to the left, middle is pressed to the right, bottom is pressed to the left

once all three rows are sewn and pressed, sew them together starting with the top making sure to "lock" each seam as you go

your block will look as pictured above, now you will sew the triangles to each corner

being sure that each point is centered, stitch corners, give a good press and open, pressing again

once your block is pressed, you will begin squaring it up to 6.5"

I like to use a smidge of starch to keep it all flat and easier to work with. And ta da! You did it! No waste!!

Here are a couple of my blocks so far. If you have any questions, please ask away. Happy Stitching!
Thank you so much for the tutorial. I will be trying this for sure! I especially like how you showed us to measure as I can get a bit off sometimes in my measuring. Hope you are having a good day! Maddie and I are off to run errands in the sunshine :)
ReplyDeleteExcellent! And I like the smaller blocks with fewer squares.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great tutorial Trish! I am going to try it for sure. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat Tutorial for your first one!
ReplyDeleteThis will make me try this block
Trish! Thank you for the tutorial! I have printed it off and have plans for a mini-quilt in my head right now! Love your blog, I never miss reading a new post. You add sunshine to my days!
ReplyDeleteSimple and beautiful. I know I could do it but I would have to keep this page open and refer back to it over and over....smiles...Renee
ReplyDeleteThat is just perfect! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Trish! Love those smaller squares. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteOk, who is brilliant? Thank you, you make it look so easy and I have a ton of precut blocks so I may actually give this a try. It always looked so complicated to get the pattern diagonal like this but you make it look easy! Yay!
ReplyDeleteOh this is too cute! I love these little blocks - perfect gems! Off to make a couple - thank you so much for the tutorial!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the tutorial, Trish. A granny square quilt is on my "to do" list and you have now made it easier!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tutorial Trish!!
ReplyDeleteI am also a first generation quilter and self taught. I learn something new with every quilt I make. I only wish I had your eye for fabric. You will have to go shopping with me one day!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing how you make them! I am going to try doing this for my next couple grannie blocks!! I was totally off with my measuring in my many of blocks, which is going to be a bummer when I quilt it. Have a great weekend! xo Heather
ReplyDeletePerfect, I'll be doing this one, its simple & lovely
ReplyDeleteLol Karen x
I will definitely use this! Thanks so much! I'm thinking I will make a few for the extra blocks in my Farmer's Wife quilt too!
ReplyDeleteGreat first tutorial. I like how it does does waste any fabric. I will try it soon. Love your color selections too.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great tutorial, Trish! Thank you for sharing it. Gorgeous fabrics are so special it's always a shame to waste any. I love the ones you picked here :)
ReplyDeleteHelen x
Yes, you really do have an eye for color choices and you did a great job on your first tutorial. I think I would enjoy doing this block.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Nancy
Great tutorial! Thank you so much! I will have to try this one. It looks like an easy one and is so pretty!
ReplyDeleteTrish,
ReplyDeleteI used your tutorial and made a sample block today, it worked wonderfully!! Thanks again!!
super duper cute Trish!
ReplyDeleteFound it! I have been watching Renee's great blocks. I wanted to try some...I have been going back and back on her blog to find your tutorial! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI am a knitter/crocheter, but I have always wanted to quilt. I love your tutorial. It is making me want to try it.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. :)
LOVE the no waste aspect! Thanks. I pinned it!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the neat tutorial. I am new to this granny square block but love a block with no waste and where I can use some of the scrappy pieces in my stash.
ReplyDeleteLove it Trish, thanks for the great tutorial!
ReplyDeletexoRobin❤
Excellent! Love simplicity! A must try!
ReplyDeleteWooHoo! I just made my first Granny Square from your tutorial..Notice I said FIRST! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI echo Linda's WooHoo! I followed your tutorial and I am pleased as punch with the perfect square that resulted! And it was my first attempt at a Granny Square! WooHoo!
ReplyDeleteThis looks great! I think I'll do this.
ReplyDeleteHello, I just discovered you via a pinterest post and am very happy that I found you. Love your tutorial and I have become a follower. Love your blog! Thank you so much for sharing all that you do!! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteJust made these blocks and they are super cute! Mine came out a little smaller (6.25") even after a needle adjustment. Oh well. lol They are still super cute and I will use them in a little quilt. Great tutorial. Thanks Trish :)
ReplyDeleteGreat Tutorial! I am also a 1st generation quilter and learning as I go and following this, have created a beautiful table topper! thanks and continue the inspirations for us!
ReplyDeleteLinda
Great tutorials are a gift that keeps on giving. Marking this one to my favorites. Thank you. I love Granny Squares.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU FOR THIS!!! I have been searching for how to make this pattern and you explain it so clearly, much appreciated! :)
ReplyDelete